Author Topic: Belgium centime 1902  (Read 138 times)

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
Belgium centime 1902
« on: August 30, 2018, 08:28:09 PM »
Evening all. :)

I recently picked up this 1902 centime. I think it's probably 1902/1801, as listed in SCWC. The overdate on the 1 is clear, but over the 8 not quite so much, so I'm just after a second opinion really.
Cheers,
MBE

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Belgium centime 1902
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 10:53:09 PM »
I have no doubt that your id is correct. Nice find! TFP.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 12:15:04 AM »
Thanks Peter. Unusual to see that many possible overdates in a single year - I wonder what they were playing at?  :D

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 01:11:54 AM »
I guess they expected to be minting this type in 1899, so they prepared dies with 18 and relied on punches for the 99. Pretty much standard procedure at this time and it explains the eights and zeroes.

My scenario for the "near" and "far" variants is that the last two digits were put in by hand, without the guidance the 9 punch had with the place of the eight. That made for small variations, because a 1 is narrower than the other numbers in the date. One mint worker decided that all figures should have the same space. Another spaced them by width - this is known as kerning. That still doesn't explain why the fourth digit was overstruck and why there is a "far" two variant. Chaos and confusion, maybe? Also, I am not sure KM got it right. Maybe our member Aernout can advise.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.