News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Errors on tokens

Started by malj1, August 29, 2018, 06:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

This is a classic error BOB POTTE uniface brass 22.3mm Hayes 56A.1

The corrected version reads BOB POTTER'S uniface brass 22.3mm Hayes 56A.

Bob Potter Leisure Limited owns and operates entertainment clubs and auditorium. The company was incorporated in 1977
and is based in Camberley, United Kingdom 

Mr. Bob Potter Managing Director and Owner
Lakeside, Wharf Road, Frimley Green, Camberley, Surrey

A group engaged in Leisure complex together with three hotels and a steak house and the hire and sale of gaming and amusement machines.

Wikipedia says:
The Lakeside Leisure Complex is a hotel, entertainment and leisure complex in the village of Frimley Green near Camberley in west Surrey. It is most famous as being the venue of the BDO World Darts Championship, holding both men's and women's events.
The complex was established in 1972, when Bob Potter (born 1928) bought Wharfenden House and the surrounding grounds and lake. He built it up from a 500 seat venue to a 1,000 seat venue, which became popular on the cabaret circuit. The Lakeside fell victim to a fire in the late 1970s, but reopened after refurbishment.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

malj1

PLAYLAND 6d consimilar Cu-ni 18.8mm issued with retrograde N both sides. Hayes 309.2

and the corrected version shown below. Hayes 309.1
Malcolm

Figleaf

The N is a classic error of an inexperienced engraver working in mirror image. The surprise is in the last four words, since it would indicate that the working dies were sunk directly and in true dimensions, without gypsum model, reducing lathe and intermediate dies. Educational.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

The corrected version hasn't just had its N corrected - the font is different overall, with thicker lettering. Look at the size of the hole in the P and the A, for example - they are smaller on the correct version than the wrong one.

Edit: Now I notice that the two A's are different on the correct version....

malj1

I think it has mostly to do with the wear each token receives as there is a variation in the six examples that I have.
Malcolm

jezuss

two tokens with the same portrait.
but one is in reverse.
i don't know which one is the right picture...

Henk

Errors on tokens are not uncommon. There are several examples in the Dutch series which are listed in the Kooy Catalog. Errors occur especially on tokens struck in foreign countries eg Germany or France. Unfamiliarity with the language is one cause. Another is the usually required cheapness and speed of production.

I show one example from the Netherlands (not a machine token) unlisted in Kooy.
Brass 23 mm
O: GOOD VOOR EEN / URQULL / OF LÖWENBRÄU, / -.- / CAFE LINKE (in circle of dots)
R: (6 pointed star in circle of dots)

The obverse has two errors: GOOD should be GOED and the name of the beer is not URQULL but URQUELL

Cafe Linke was located at the address Venestraat 20 in The Hague from about 1875 - 1920

jezuss

tokens made in china.
the first one has the correct text: digital instant
the second one has wrong text:   digtal instarit

Henk

The S is another tricky letter

malj1

In this instance he may have had a glass of beer in other hand  >:D  ...but yes a trap for young hands.
Malcolm

jezuss

i didn't know a year has 13 month...

malj1

Yes the Roman numerals are a trap for young players too. Should have been VIII
Malcolm