Poll

Which of the "Type 4" euro design sets do you like best?

Austria
0 (0%)
Greece
0 (0%)
Italy
6 (100%)
San Marino: 2002 to 2016
0 (0%)
San Marino: 2017 to date
0 (0%)
Slovenia
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Euro design poll - "Type 4" designs - a different design for each coin  (Read 542 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
In my topic, Design structure of the euro sets, I classify the Type 4 euro design sets as being those sets where each denomination has its own national design. Simple! This is at the opposite end of the spectrum from Type 1 design sets, where the whole set has only one national design, shared across the coins.

In this poll, you may vote for your favourite "Type 4" set of national designs. It would also be interesting to discuss the designs themselves: their meaning and symbolism (if any), and your views on the good and bad points of their design. You might also wish to explain which of the designs you like least, and why - or which single alternative design you would prefer to see for any particular country. Also, are there too many Type 4 sets - or would you like to see more?

I will also post polls for the other design set types.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Euro design poll - "Type 4" designs - a different design for each coin
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 04:23:44 PM »

Italy.

Here I found it very difficult to make a choice. However, the sheer variety of imposing designs in the Italian set has won me over. Despite their variety, they still manage to gel into a set. The Vitruvian man and the portrait of Dante are already classic designs in European culture, but the Coliseum, Italia, and the marvellous statue of the ancient paralympic runner :) all help create a marvellous set of designs.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 04:24:41 PM »

Greece.

Coming a very close second for me was Greece.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 04:26:58 PM »

Austria.

Austria I place third, as also a very creditable set of designs that gel well together.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 04:32:43 PM »

Slovenia.

Slovenia's set also has some superb designs. However, the mountain peak should come higher on the coin and leave less blank space, so that it fits in better with the other designs. The 1 and 2 euro designs, however, just do not gel with the rest of the set. Above all, the textual part of the design on the 2 euro takes up far too much space, nor does the outline of the head fit in stylistically with any other design.

That leaves only the two San Marino sets, which are quite adequate but nothing out of the ordinary.

Offline quaziright

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 05:20:34 PM »
Hands down Italy for me. I do not like Greece at all. Austria is nice, but the top 2 denominations kills it for me. Slovenia perhaps would be my 2nd choice, but with all the text, it seems too busy for my liking. I don’t really count San Marino as it’s currency doesn’t really circulate the way the others do

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 10:32:42 PM »
Italy has much to show and shows it well, with clear, recognisable, well balanced on detail designs. The variety is great and the subjects from all times. Greece had a similar opportunity and blew it. Their set is actually three classes of subjects by metal, their subjects mostly uninteresting. Austria managed to do worse with cluttered, fit for baroque art designs, drowning in useless detail with too many fine details and not enough abstraction if you get my drift. ;) Apart from the 2 cent, 1 and 2 euro, they lack eye appeal. Slovenian designs seem to cover up a lack of stuff to show with as many stars as on a Hollywood sidewalk. They should have gone for one design per metal, leaving out the designs not showing off the country and the bleeping stars, especially those separating the letters of the country name.

San Marino has nothing to show. A one design set would have been perfect for them, but their coins are made in Rome.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline trdsf

• Oooo, shiny...!
    • My Flickr page
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 09:27:13 AM »
Italy, with Greece a close second.  Austria's designs were unremarkable, and Slovenia's looked like eight coins from eight different countries.  Italy managed to cover the span from ancient Rome to the modern day in a coherent eight-coin whole.
Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 02:08:46 PM »
What they said. Italy. :)  Yes, the Italian designs cover many different eras and styles, and while they do not have one theme only, the designs are all about art and architecture. If I was mean, I would point out that the artists merely took an object and transferred that onto a coin's obverse, so there is not much creativity involved. But I am nice, especially because the results look good.

Italy is also a nice example of how to deal with the country name on coins. (Initially there was no legal requirement to have a country name or "identifier" on the coins, and the German circulation pieces for example still do not have them.) Now "Repubblica Italiana" would have been a little much especially for the smaller coins, but the RI identifier works well without ruining the design. (France with its RF does that too, Austria uses its flag.)

With Greece, each of the three themes - ships, statesmen, ancient culture - works, and I love the €1 design (even though it is basically a copy). But the set as a whole is not a great combination.

About the same with the Austrian coins. Strange by the way that the government saw the need to repeat the face value on the obverse. What makes sense in the case of Greece looks just odd here - and is something that Austria needs to modify within the next 44 years, hehe.

Christian

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 07:19:50 PM »
Italy was the clear winner in this poll. The other countries' sets did not receive a single vote. Well done, Italy.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member