Poll

Which of the "Type 3" euro design sets do you like best?

Andorra
0 (0%)
Cyprus
1 (14.3%)
France
3 (42.9%)
Germany
0 (0%)
Latvia
1 (14.3%)
Malta
0 (0%)
Monaco: Prince Rainier III (to 2005)
0 (0%)
Monaco: Prince Albert II (2006 to date)
0 (0%)
Portugal
0 (0%)
Slovakia
1 (14.3%)
Spain: King Juan Carlos I (to 2014)
0 (0%)
Spain: King Felipe VI (2014 to date)
1 (14.3%)
Vatican City: Pope Francis (portrait, 2014 to 2016)
0 (0%)
Luxembourg
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Euro design poll - "Type 3" designs  (Read 571 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Euro design poll - "Type 3" designs
« on: August 26, 2018, 03:10:50 PM »
As regards metal content, the euro coins can be divided into three tiers:

1] Red coins 1, 2 and 5 euro cents.

2] Yellow coins: 10, 20 and 50 euro cents.

3] Bimetallic coins: 1 and 2 euro.

In my topic, Design structure of the euro sets, I have classified the design structure of the national sides of the various euro sets.

I describe "Type 3a" sets as having a common national design for each different tier of the set. Type 3b sets, however, give separate national designs to the 1 and 2 euro coins. This means that, in the Type 3 sets, a maximum of three coins share a common national design.

The 1 and 2 euro coins either share a common design (a Type 3a set), or else each of the two has its own unique design (a Type 3b set). Because we have had only two Type 3b set, namely Monaco (Prince Rainier) and Andorra, I have grouped all the Type 3 sets together in this poll.

You can visualise the Type 3a sets in this way:

Tier 1.  a a a
Tier 2.  b b b
Tier 3.  c c

You can visualise the Type 3b sets in this way:

Tier 1.  a a a
Tier 2.  b b b
Tier 3.  c d

Here a letter refers to a distinct design type.

In this poll, you may vote for your favourite "Type 3" set of national designs.

It would also be interesting to discuss the designs themselves: their meaning and symbolism (if any), and your views on the good and bad points of their design. You might also wish to explain which of the designs you like least, and why - or which single alternative design you would prefer to see for any particular country. Also, are there too many Type 3 sets - or would you like to see more?

I will also post polls for the other design set types.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Euro design poll - "Type 3" designs
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 03:23:59 PM »
This type of set has a nice logic, where each design corresponds to a metal type. Until the 1930s, the UK had a single design of Britannia for all its bronze coins: the farthing, halfpenny and penny. That changed under King George VI, when the farthing was given a wren design and the halfpenny was given a design of the Golden Hind, the ship of Sir Francis Drake.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 03:30:55 PM »

I have voted for Cyprus. Each tier has an attractive thematic design.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 03:32:56 PM »

Vatican City, Pope Francis.  Type 3a.

A close second for me would have been this Vatican set of three different portraits. I judge that entirely on artistic merit, as I believe that the scandal-ridden Vatican no longer deserves to exist.

Offline quaziright

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 03:34:31 PM »
I have to say France. Itís an amazing continuation of typically French symbols with a fresh take in style. Itís been 16yrs and I still love these designs

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 03:35:48 PM »

Slovakia.

Third choice for me would have been Slovakia. I love the elegant design of Bratislava Castle, and the contours of the mountain peak are nicely done too. However, the cross is not interesting as a design - if anything, it would have looked better on the first tier of the bronze coins.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »

Portugal.

For me, Portugal's set is the least attractive or interesting. The designs show the first three seals of Afonso Henriques, the first king of Portugal. Something a lot more modern and more interesting would have been far preferable.

Second to last for me are the over-heraldic sets of Monaco. Malta too has only one non-heraldic design. Latvia's largely heraldic set has a certain attraction, but it is still close to the bottom of the list for me.

Spain's designs just do not gel for me as a set. The cathedral of Santiago de Compostela design is unattractive, and the design showing Cervantes looks distinctly banal.

The sets of France and Germany are attractive enough, I find, and they work as sets of designs.

Andorra's 1 and 2 euro designs are unattractive and do not gel with their far nicer designs on the lower denominations.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 03:49:14 PM »
I have to say France. Itís an amazing continuation of typically French symbols with a fresh take in style. Itís been 16yrs and I still love these designs

It is a nice set. It's very high among the second-most designs for me.

France.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 11:06:49 PM by <k> »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 05:19:27 PM »
My apologies - I omitted Luxembourg. I've just added it as an option in the poll. However, I suspect that nobody will want to vote for it - except for contrary persons, now that I have written that.  :-\

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 10:47:01 PM »
I go for Spain, though Slovenia Slovakia is a credible runner-up. In both cases, a concise presentation of the country (I would have preferred painting to architecture, but realise it would have been difficult) is topped with a state symbol, not being a map. I voted for the second Spanish set, it is not very different in principle from the first, though.

Peter

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 10:50:47 PM by <k> »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 11:07:58 PM »

A reminder of the Spanish set.

Offline trdsf

• Oooo, shiny...!
    • My Flickr page
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 09:44:08 AM »
I'm surprised France didn't have Marianne on the 1 and 2Ä coins, but at least she's there.  At her best, she's so very reminiscent of those gorgeous Walking liberty halves, my perennial nominee for the most gorgeous American silver coin ó or the Walker is reminiscent of Marianne, either way.
Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW ∑ DE ∑ EU
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 01:45:07 PM »
France got my vote. In general I am not so fond of sets that combine various, how shall I put it, design types. For example, I like the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, so even if the coins show the bah-roque ;) towers only, it is nice to see it there. Then you have Cervantes, and then the king.

So in that regard I actually find the Portuguese designs to be good. Did it have to be something Afonso Henriques every time? Don't know, but the seals and monograms look attractive in my opinion. One odd element is the country name which appears twice on each and every piece ...

The French designs do not depict any "real" or tangible objects but ideas or figures that all say something about the country. Granted, the ring of the Ä1 and Ä2 coins is somewhat overpopulated, the Sower is not Roty's "classical" sower, and today the designs would look a little different anyway in order to comply with the law, but all in all this is the most appealing one.

Christian

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 07:18:18 PM »
Of all these sets, only four received votes, and France was the clear winner.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 04:38:33 PM »