Poll

Which of the "Type 1" euro design sets do you like best?

Belgium: King Albert
0 (0%)
Belgium: King Philippe
0 (0%)
Estonia: Map
0 (0%)
Ireland: Harp
1 (16.7%)
Lithuania: Knight on horseback
5 (83.3%)
Vatican City: Sede vacante, 2005
0 (0%)
Vatican City: Pope's arms, 2017 to date
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Euro design poll - "Type 1" designs  (Read 720 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Euro design poll - "Type 1" designs
« on: August 26, 2018, 02:12:23 PM »
As regards metal content, the euro coins can be divided into three tiers:

1] Red coins 1, 2 and 5 euro cents.

2] Yellow coins: 10, 20 and 50 euro cents.

3] Bimetallic coins: 1 and 2 euro.

In my topic, Design structure of the euro sets, I have classified the design structure of the national sides of the various euro sets.

I describe "Type 1" sets as having a single design on the national side, that is shared by all the coins.

You can visualise the Type 1 sets in this way:

Tier 1.  a a a
Tier 2.  a a a
Tier 3.  a a

Here a letter refers to a distinct design type, but since we have only one design, I have used only the letter "a".

In this poll, you may vote for your favourite "Type 1" set of national designs. It would also be interesting to discuss the designs themselves: their meaning and symbolism (if any), and your views on the good and bad points of their design. You might also wish to explain which of the designs you like least, and why - or which single alternative design you would prefer to see for any particular country. Also, are there too many Type 1 sets - or would you like to see more?

I will also post polls for the other design set types.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Euro design poll - "Type 1" designs
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 11:17:47 PM »

Lithuania.

I voted for Lithuania, the classic knight design with a nice sense of motion. The Estonian map is the most boring of all - too minimalistic, and even less worthy than the boring Papal and Vatican emblems.

Second for me would have been Albert, whose portrait looks quite lifelike, unlike that of Philippe. Next comes the harp, nicely iconic and a rather clean design - not too fussy or busy. It is of course a great pity, perpetually remarked on, that the Metcalfe designs had to disappear. However, Ireland is no longer an old-fasioned rural economy, so it made sense. What could replace them? I suspect that Michael Guilfoyle, who has produced many fine commemorative euro designs for Ireland, could come up with some good ideas.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 11:26:09 PM »
I like the symbolism of the Irish design. Brian Boru's harp is a symbol of independence once upon a time, evoked in Brian Boru's march, an army marching passing on its way to Clontargh. It also evokes the first coins of newly independent Ireland. Not bad for a relatively simple design, symbolising a country and its history.

Peter

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 12:05:13 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 11:41:11 PM »

A reminder of the Irish harp - though harp music is not to my taste, I must admit.

Offline trdsf

• Oooo, shiny...!
    • My Flickr page
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 09:42:53 AM »
I have a soft spot for the Irish harp, but compared to their previous coinage, both decimal and £sd, it just doesn't measure up.  So the Lithuanian horseman for me.
Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 10:18:07 AM »
I chose for Lithuania, although I like Belgium - Filip as much.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 10:48:09 AM »

Belgium.

The royal monogram is too obtrusive, I find. Isn't the portrait in itself enough?

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 01:12:14 PM »
Don't know whether the Belgian monogram is mandated by any law, but the previous king Albert used it on "his" euro and cent coins too. What I like about the current monogram is that it nicely combines the two initials: "F" for Filip (Dutch version of his name) and "P" for Philippe (French version). May be a bit too big but still fits nicely ...

The Irish harp monotony is quite disappointing in my opinion. Ireland used to have an interesting variety of designs for its circulation coins. But when they went from the punt to the euro, the government apparently decided that this is too much of an effort.  ::)

Now the Estonian map is a little boring too (well, seeing it on all eight denominations is). But I guess the Estonians - this was the winner of a public vote - figured that the map of the country nicely matches the map of Europe on the reverse.

The vytis from Lithuania is fine as well, but comes across as very old fashioned. Keep in mind this is a personal opinion, not a verdict, hehe. Anyway, I will abstain here.

Christian

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 03:53:02 PM »
The vytis from Lithuania is fine as well, but comes across as very old fashioned. Keep in mind this is a personal opinion, not a verdict, hehe.

Christian

Maybe the symbol is old-fashioned, but it is represented in a modern way. It looks far more lively than anything you will find on the UK's current heraldic series, which includes several different designs.

Anyway, I will abstain here.

Good idea. I think that the Type 1 sets (one design for a whole set) are inherently unsatisfactory. I therefore recommend expelling Type 1 countries from the EU, unless they agree to adopt a Type 3 or Type 4 series.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 07:14:23 PM »
So, only two countries received votes: Lithuania and Ireland. Lithuania was easily the winner.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 04:39:17 PM »

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 06:57:51 PM »
The royal monogram is too obtrusive, I find. Isn't the portrait in itself enough?

Hmm, I beg to differ. The royal monogram makes the design even more majestic. Although the Belgian coins in the past were mainly trash, the current euro coins of Belgium are far superior to the Dutch ones.