Author Topic: Princess Diana on coins  (Read 1639 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Princess Diana on coins
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2018, 09:42:38 PM »

Not a great design, but it does catch her compassionate side, which did appear to be genuine.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2018, 09:43:53 PM »

She could be stylish too.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2018, 09:45:03 PM »

Often she appeared vulnerable during her troubled marriage.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2018, 09:46:24 PM »

She was a mother too. Her sons have inherited her easy charm.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2018, 09:52:25 PM »

After her marriage broke up, she eventually became more mature, more sure of herself. She wanted to devote herself to serious humanitarian causes. Here she is seen campaigning against landmines. She was bewildered when some Conservative MPs complained that she was straying into politics. The weapons trade is very lucrative for some, of course.  :-X

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2018, 10:13:25 PM »
Thank you for those comments. They give another dimension to a dry summing up of metallic portraits, many of which, as you noted, are pretty bad, designed to cash in.

There is no doubt that Diana was a complicated person, with many aspects, positive as well as negative, some of them contradictory. That's in the nature of being human. She was pretty, but all women of her age are, if they can avoid obesity. Sum it up, and you get a picture of a normal human.

Normal humans can be driven to despair. In Diana's case, the despair probably had many causes. One stands out for me. The constant hum of attention, of people noting every detail, of being judged every day. It wasn't their fault and it wasn't her fault. It was so easy to obtain and spread information as it was all available in English.

I met a pretty Danish princess once. Another perfectly normal human, turned extra careful, extra civil, nicely polite, with fine articulation. Her English was perfect. She was born English, or rather Scottish. However, she has weathered it all. Maybe some young ladies are better off not being a princess? But how do I tell my granddaughters that Disney got it completely wrong?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.