Author Topic: Comments on “Thematic sets from the 1920s to date”  (Read 16319 times)

Offline quaziright

Re: Comments on “Thematic sets from the 1920s to date”
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2018, 05:25:01 PM »
There are new sets for Moldova, Argentina and Phillipines if Im not mistaken that haven't been updated in the parent topic. According to numista, Romania has changed the metal content of their set. I think Poland came out with an updated legend around their coins too a couple years ago

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2018, 07:54:18 PM »
I think some of your comments are relevant to:

1] Major New Circulation Sets of the 21st Century

2] Planned Major Changes to World Circulation Sets

which are run by Jostein and Aditya these days.

As for the thematic sets, thanks, I have them on my radar. Currently I have too much to do, and this isn't my top priority, but I hope to address it by end of March or early April.

Offline quaziright

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2018, 07:58:08 PM »
Ah thank you. I didn’t réalisé there are two other related topics to this

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2018, 10:30:25 AM »
There are new sets for Moldova, Argentina and Philippines if I'm not mistaken that haven't been updated in the parent topic. According to numista, Romania has changed the metal content of their set. I think Poland came out with an updated legend around their coins too a couple years ago

I've been very busy, but at last I shall deal with your comments. First off, you should read this extract from my "Terms of reference":

Examples of changes I do NOT regard as major.

I shall only include sets with three new coins or more. It is often enough that a country changes only two denominations or adds two, and really there are so many examples of this, that I simply wouldn't have time to deal with them. So, I shall say, somewhat ungrammatically, "Two's company; three are a set". As you see, the new Argentinian coins are only two in number. It is possible that other coins will be added to form a full design series, and then I would include them.

I am now looking at the other sets you mentioned to see which to include. Minor changes to legends and changes to metal content, I do not regard as major changes.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 12:02:41 PM by <k> »

Offline Big_M

« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2018, 07:32:59 PM »
I am not sure whether it qualifies but there are 2018 1 & 2 Leu circulation coins with the sun & moon motives.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2018, 07:47:38 PM »
See: Terms of reference

2] To be included, a set must have circulated. In some cases this will be difficult to determine.

4] A set must include at least three coins with a thematic design, and these must also comprise at least 50% of the coins in the set.

Are these truly standard circulation coins?

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2018, 04:18:25 AM »
They are very much circulation coins but only two have been issued so far.
Balance two are planned for next year.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2018, 10:15:13 AM »
They are very much circulation coins but only two have been issued so far.
Balance two are planned for next year.

I should add that I do not regard the Moldovan set as a thematic set, according to my terms of reference (TOR):

1] By thematic, I mean a design with a representational theme: flora, fauna, ships, national heroes, etc.  Heraldic, symbolic and abstract themes, and coat of arms, do not count.

This allows me to concentrate on a meaningful subset of the more interesting coin sets of the world. You will note that my definition excludes the sets of my own country, the UK, since they are heraldic. It excludes those of Armenia and Angola, since they portray motifs (abstract patterns - but not "patterns" in the numismatic sense). I would regard the current Moldovan set as symbolic, not classically thematic.

My topic, Major New Circulation Sets of the 21st Century, allows for a wider selection. The topic has its own terms of reference at the beginning of its comments topic. The Moldovan set is displayed there. However, the TOR allow for only the first appearance of a set. Having a denomination or two added over the years does not count, otherwise I would never be finished.