Author Topic: Austria: 2019 Collector Coins  (Read 384 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Austria: 2019 Collector Coins
« on: August 22, 2018, 07:48:54 PM »
The Austrian Mint published its issue schedule for 2019. Here is a list of the collector coins:

4 Dec 2018: 5 New Year's Coin 2019 (part of the 2018 program, but the coins will be dated 2019)

23 Jan 2019: 20 Towards the Sky (new series): The Dream of Flying
23 Jan: ViMi825 (see note below)

13 Feb: 50 Viktor Frankl (Vienna School of Psychotherapy series, Au)
13 Feb: 3 Animals - Turtle

13 Mar: 5 Easter / Spring (Ag and Cu)
13 Mar: ViMi825 (see note below)

10 Apr: 10 Mail Armour and Sword (new series): The world of knights

8 May: 20 50th anniversary of the first moon landing

12 Jun: 25 Artificial Intelligence (silver-niobium)
12 Jun: 3 River Otter

11 Sep: 10 Mail Armour and Sword (series): Adventures
11 Sep: 3 Crayfish

16 Oct: 100 Magic of Gold (Au, new series)
16 Oct: ViMi825 (see note below)

6 Nov: 20 Towards the Sky (series): Engine Powered Flying
6 Nov: 3 - New Series

Austria will also issue three 1 oz silver pieces dedicated to the 825th anniversary of the mint in Vienna. I listed them as "ViMi825"; don't know much about those yet ...

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Re: Austria: 2019 Collector Coins
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 11:41:01 PM »
According to this page (in German), the mint anniversary pieces will have a face value of 1.50 each. 1 ounce of silver (Ag 999), diameter 37 mm. The themes/designs will refer to when the mint was founded - "a knight, a city, and a legend" ...

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 03:04:42 PM »
I was expecting Austrian Mint to continue the 3 series with some new theme. It's very popular and issue price of 9.90 makes it even more attractive (whether you can actually get it for that price easily is a different story altogether...)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 03:10:40 PM »
Oh, they will continue to issue 3 coins - see the second entry for November above. It's just that the theme of the new series is not known yet. In the meantime I got the mint's magazine, and on page 19 it also says so. Rough on-the-fly translation: Theme and design wise, the new series will be similar to the animals series. It will be about "superlatives", there will be some "surprise" effect, and an album too. :)

Christian
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 08:52:33 PM by chrisild »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 12:45:21 AM »
Fresh from the World Money Fair - an image of this year's silver-niobium coin (Artificial Intelligence). Well, not of the coin but from a brochure about the coin. :)

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 02:45:14 PM »
Don't like the design at all. Has to be the poorest design among the series so far. :(

Having said that, since it will be issued on my birthday, I don't mind gifting it to myself. ;) :D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Online quaziright

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 03:30:44 PM »
Fresh from the World Money Fair - an image of this year's silver-niobium coin (Artificial Intelligence). Well, not of the coin but from a brochure about the coin. :)

Christian

Absolutely stunning this coin! Can't wait to have it in my hands later this year

Online quaziright

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 03:37:47 PM »
Oh, they will continue to issue 3 coins - see the second entry for November above. It's just that the theme of the new series is not known yet. In the meantime I got the mint's magazine, and on page 19 it also says so. Rough on-the-fly translation: Theme and design wise, the new series will be similar to the animals series. It will be about "superlatives", there will be some "surprise" effect, and an album too. :)

Christian

What a gimmick!..."zum Sammeln, Staunen und lernen"... aber noch wichtiger, eine starke Gelegenheit fuer die Muenze schoen mehr Geld zu verdienen... is what they should have concluded. Maybe I should say griefen instead of verdienen lol

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 05:52:27 PM »
Since I hardly ever buy euro collector coins any more, those 3 pieces are not really relevant for me. ;) Then again, they were indeed a tremendous success for the mint. Now whether a new series - I still do not know the theme yet, let alone designs - can continue that, we shall see ...

The 25 piece does not look all that bad in my opinion. Have not seen more of it than what is depicted there though. In fact, I would be tempted to buy it ... had I not stopped collecting the silver-niobium coins when they went from two "colors" to more.

Christian

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 06:00:49 PM »
Not too happy with the design. AI is a complicated concept going well beyond robots and robots don't look like people. The mounted chips and connections are in pretty "stupid" devices also, from washing machines to phones with a keyboard. All in all, the coin gives the impression of having been made by a designer who didn't really understand the concept of artificial intelligence.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online quaziright

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 06:22:16 PM »
Not too happy with the design. AI is a complicated concept going well beyond robots and robots don't look like people. The mounted chips and connections are in pretty "stupid" devices also, from washing machines to phones with a keyboard. All in all, the coin gives the impression of having been made by a designer who didn't really understand the concept of artificial intelligence.

Peter

on the contrary, the circuitry to me seems super imposed on a human being indicating the effort to eventually mimic the human mind as close as possible. Furthermore, it also fantastically illustrates the journey from what has in the past been crude, to something more advanced, and in the future, who knows ?
Of course, you are not at all wrong, a shallow perspective can also be exactly as you stated above  ;)

Offline altaycoins

• altaycoins.com
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 08:30:07 PM »
Let me add the image with the back side. I am not a big fan of commemorative coins issued by mints but this series catches me with using no pigment for colors.

I started to collect this series with the "evolution" coin and still it is the best of all coins issued. But kinda liked it all the coins issued so far and I find this one also ok. Indeed artificial intelligence is not equal to robots and/or human looking robots but it is just easier to represent this way.