Author Topic: ebay India  (Read 863 times)

Offline Naveen

• My Blog
ebay India
« on: August 20, 2018, 01:45:27 AM »
Hi team,

So ebay.india stopped so that was one of the major platform for coin buying and selling in India, do any one knows flipkart going to take over this piece.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
ebay India
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 02:24:19 PM »
I stopped buying from eBay India ages ago. Not because I did not like their service, but they had nothing for me as my preferences were different.

Walmart has already acquired 77% stake in Flipkart, so eBay India will now be run by Walmart...

Aditya
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 08:39:14 AM by Bimat »
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: ebay India
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 10:07:52 AM »
I hope it will be an improvement, after eBay's neglect of criminal activity, but I fear not. Walmart is often considered immoral for the way it treats its staff and their rights. Not a good sign.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline idiotghost

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 11:23:02 AM »
Ebay has itself only to blame for its misdeeds. It hardly had a control on its errant sellers, some of whom would mock Ebay & take customers for a ride! If these few sellers would give such bad experience to Ebay customers & Ebay being a toothless & powerless platform, obviously people wouldnt come back again to buy there! I had come across a few Ebay sellers while buying stamps & coins, they had the audacity to mock Ebay & the customer both! If it was amazon, they would have been straight away banned from the platform!

Ebay hardly helped when complained about such sellers! They would say you reverse ship the product & we will refund the money back, no other solution they had nor take the seller to task! Even right now as I type this, I have 3 pending claims on Ebay with sellers not even sending invoices to begin with or defrauding buyers! Ebay wouldnt do anything to the seller, but if you put a bad feedback to the seller, they will start attacking you! I had a seller who tried hacking my Ebay account to reverse a bad feedback I wrote for selling me a torn & damaged stamp album! He kept on calling 20+ times, sent me 50+ sms, tried hacking Ebay & my email account by forgot password option! This was 4 years back, he still was peddling his wares on Ebay till last week & attacking consumers if they left a negative feedback on his profile!

Offline Navaneeth

• Numismatics Collections
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 06:59:07 AM »
I have been associated with eBay India as a seller from 2003 (Baazee Days) though I was into electronics category.  Ebay team was generally a genuine site and were against fake items. But eBay was such platform where every tom, dick and harry could come and sell which was quite difficult for the Trust & Safety team which sits in Australia. As a old seller I had the privilege to contact the team on reporting fake items on my category. 

eBay.in taken over in the name of E-Kart India Pvt Ltd which they are saying as Flipkart, But it doesn't come under Walmart as per my information.  There will be a new site in the coming months similar to eBay. Let's wait for the official information.

Offline Naveen

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 01:32:29 AM »
Do you guys able to figure out a new platform for buying/Selling Coins in India, something similar to earlier ebay.in,

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 05:49:50 AM »
The only option currently is the various groups on Fb and some WhattsApp groups.

While I never bought directly from ebay, my experience on Fb is fairly good. Only caution is that it is imperative to fave some feedback of the sellers as there are a few frauds who do turn up regularly. I follow a seller for some time and see what reactions are there and then try one or two small deals...........

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 01:52:40 PM »
I am informed that from India, you have to go to eBay.in only and can not go to eBay from rest of the world.
Is it correct?

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
ebay India
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 02:01:24 PM »
I can visit the eBay India website (ebay.in), however, as soon as I log-in, I am redirected to ebay.com.

Edit: Even without logging-in, I am redirected to ebay.com when I start browsing the shops by categories.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 05:34:48 PM »
I can visit the eBay India website (ebay.in), however, as soon as I log-in, I am redirected to ebay.com.

Edit: Even without logging-in, I am redirected to ebay.com when I start browsing the shops by categories.

Aditya

I think the biggest problem for sellers in India having to use Ebay.com is it requires a Paypal  account. I'm fairly sure you cannot have a Paypal account linked to a bank in India, is this so?
Vic

Offline Saikat

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 05:44:21 PM »
I think the biggest problem for sellers in India having to use Ebay.com is it requires a Paypal  account. I'm fairly sure you cannot have a Paypal account linked to a bank in India, is this so?
Nope! I do have a paypal account linked with my Indian account. The only limitation is I can not use that to purchase in India.
Saikat

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 05:58:02 PM »
Nope! I do have a paypal account linked with my Indian account. The only limitation is I can not use that to purchase in India.
Saikat

Maybe it was Ebay.in that did not allow Paypal and only Paisapay?  I recall about 6 years ago a seller in India telling me he was unable to get a Paypal account even on Ebay.com and used his brothers account who lived in the USA. Presumably it's different now
Vic

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 04:58:23 AM »
PayPal is no longer a unit of eBay
Now it is a independent company
eBay accepts PayPal but eBay.in never accepted it due to the fact that PayPal was never given license for banking in India. It was only permitted payment gateway.
Hence transactions between Indian parties were never permitted by PayPal
Transactions between one party being not indian were always permitted

However, unlike most of the other countries, PayPal could not hold the funds when beneficiary was an Indian party. In other words, as soon as a payment was received for an Indian seller, it had to be credited in to his linked bank account. Most other countries permit the funds by PayPal which could be used by receiver for making purchases.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
ebay India
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 07:21:25 AM »
Maybe it was Ebay.in that did not allow Paypal and only Paisapay?  I recall about 6 years ago a seller in India telling me he was unable to get a Paypal account even on Ebay.com and used his brothers account who lived in the USA. Presumably it's different now

Indian users can indeed have a PayPal account, but with following restrictions:

1) It must be linked with PAN (Permanent Account Number);
2) It must be linked with one of your bank account;
3) Any payments received through PayPal must be withdrawn to the linked bank account within three weeks of receipt of the payment. If you don't, it gets withdrawn automatically;
4) You can not use your PayPal balance to buy anything online or send that balance to someone else on PayPal.

For purchases done through ebay.in, payment using PayPal was not allowed.

Aditya