Author Topic: Bukhara copper ? Murad Shah ?  (Read 332 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Bukhara copper ? Murad Shah ?
« on: August 13, 2018, 02:45:33 PM »
I think that this small oblong copper could be from Bukhara with (may be) "Murad" in center ( left picture)  ???
On reverse, very worn  :'( it seems that there are digits of a date : " x210 " (1215AH ?)
no copper coins of this ruler on Zeno.
21mm x 16mm / 3,35g
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Bukhara copper ? Murad Shah ?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 10:03:26 AM »
I have indeed seen similar coins and IIRC, they were assigned to Bukhara or Samarqand. I wonder if they could be civic issues, much like those of Afghanistan and Iran.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 10:34:25 AM »
Thank you Peter for this confirmation.
In center of the left picture, if it isn' "Murad  مراد  " as I suggested but a mint name, this coin could be considered as a civic coin; the question is then : what is it ?...)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 12:41:47 PM »
I never imagined you would ask ME to read Arabic. What if Murad is the name of the issuer (that includes a mint master and a rich merchant)? The suns on both sides, even without the lion, are vaguely reminiscent of, yet clearly different from the Iranian lion with sun.

For background, at around this time, Bukhara was a thriving market town, semi independent and nowhere near a source of copper, but likely to have a good supply of used copper within its walls. Its main trading partners would have been Northern Iran and Afghanistan, the Ottoman empire and the Russian empire (in that order).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.