Author Topic: The coinage of Namibia  (Read 1877 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: The coinage of Namibia
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 11:41:56 AM »

The 5 cent design spoils that theory, then. Possibly it's the sun from the country's flag, and the artist has made a judgement about how many rays will fit, depending on the design.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 02:41:10 PM »
Not sure whether the number of triangles has any specific meaning. But other sources support that "sun elements" theory. :) "Appearing along much of the coin's rim, excluding the areas occupied by the aloe's leaves, is a rendition of the sun similar to that on the flag of Namibia, which symbolizes life and energy."

Christian

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 04:09:39 PM »

Thanks! It was a strange artistic decision to take, though. At least the rays didn't dominate the whole coin, unlike the stars on the infamous euro coins.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 12:35:37 AM »
5 Cent appears to have been drawn by an artist of much lower calibre since the Rays touch the rim in a haphazard manner, as compared to other coins where they are distinctly separate from the rim.

May be, initially it was not proposed to issue 1 and 5 cents but they were counted as part of proposed ( but never issued ) set. Thus the Ray count was made for each denomination. Just a plausible thought :D

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 01:03:31 AM »
5 Cent appears to have been drawn by an artist of much lower calibre since the Rays touch the rim in a haphazard manner, as compared to other coins where they are distinctly separate from the rim.

I disagree. His artistry is fine. We know that more than one artist worked on these designs. The Mint of Finland should have noticed the discrepancy in the distance of the rays from the rim and ensured that they were uniform. Had the Royal Mint dealt with these coins, the Royal Mint Advisory Committee would have noticed this issue and addressed it. It was simply a question of coordinating the artists, who of course did not automatically replicate each other's tendencies when drawing the minor details.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 01:06:41 AM »
So here are the details regarding the rays:

5 cents: 9 rays.

10 cents: 3 rays.

50 cents: 4 rays.

$1: 5 rays.

$5: 6 rays.

Each design uses a different number of rays, and the number chosen seems pretty arbitrary. Perhaps they were simply a visual aid to help people distinguish the coins more easily.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 05:09:41 AM »
The original designer worked on designs with 1cent having one ray(?) and 5 cents having 2 rays.
He was told that 5 cents need not be minted so he forgot about it and proceeded with the rest of 4 coins.

After a while, there was a demand for 5 cents. The new designer too thought that the number had no significance and proceeded to design a coin, not noticing that rays do not touch the rim.

For better analysis, can we have mintage figures and date of minting of each of these coins?

By now they must have had minted $10 coin too. How many rays does it have? Or this time too, new designer showed his preference for arbitrariness?

Was the need for 1 Cent never felt, even for sets? Were the sets not minted or issued?

Did the original designer leave his draft design drawings?

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 11:49:23 AM »
The original designer worked on designs with 1cent having one ray(?) and 5 cents having 2 rays.
He was told that 5 cents need not be minted so he forgot about it and proceeded with the rest of 4 coins.

After a while, there was a demand for 5 cents. The new designer too thought that the number had no significance and proceeded to design a coin, not noticing that rays do not touch the rim.

You need to be careful here. Are you stating facts you know, or is this another theory of yours?

There is no known $10 coin of this set.

I do not know the answers to your other questions.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 12:32:01 PM »
Looked like a tongue-in-cheek comment to me. ;)

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 09:30:10 AM »
You need to be careful here. Are you stating facts you know, or is this another theory of yours?
Neither.
It is a hypothesis, being logically drawn to a conclusion.
There was a 10 Dollar proposed in 1996, as indicated in SCWC but I am unable to locate any image.
A 10 Dollar ( image enclosed ) was however issued as circulating commemorative but with mintage of 5 million ( as shown in WMK) , it was more circulating than commemorative.
5 cent was minted in 1993 but not in 1996 and 1998 when 10 cents minted.( data from WMK).
This indicates that demand was very low for 5 cents although I agree that without getting actual mintage, my conclusion is only more probable.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 09:32:50 AM »
Looked like a tongue-in-cheek comment to me. ;)
No such thing.
Sorry to disappoint you.
I am far too a serious person to indulge in any such activity.

Offline redlock

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2018, 10:07:45 AM »
Unfortunately, I do not have mintage figures for Namibian coins. But their Central Bank puts the number of coins in circulation in their annual report. The figures for 31-Dec-2017 (in Million):

5c: 248,8
10c: 188,5
50c: 30,6
$1: 111,2
$5: 12,2
$10: 1,7

Hope this helps a bit.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 11:31:37 AM »
Your theory does not make much sense to me.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2018, 12:03:17 PM »
Unfortunately, I do not have mintage figures for Namibian coins. But their Central Bank puts the number of coins in circulation in their annual report. The figures for 31-Dec-2017 (in Million):

5c: 248,8
10c: 188,5
50c: 30,6
$1: 111,2
$5: 12,2
$10: 1,7

Hope this helps a bit.
Interesting information but may not lead to any conclusion.
The coins in circulation is a figure derived by Central Bank by subtracting returned/ scrapped coins from original issued figure.
Smaller denomination coins are rarely returned back to the bank due to effort involved being more than returns obtainable.
In addition, smaller denomination coins are usually the coins thrown in wishing wells and other water bodies.
In addition, they are avidly collected by one coin per country or KM#1 of each country collectors.
If one looks at some other bank reports, you may find coins in circulation data for coins which are no longer legal tender. A contradiction in words?

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2018, 09:18:29 PM »
If one looks at some other bank reports, you may find coins in circulation data for coins which are no longer legal tender. A contradiction in words?

See

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/08/over-169m-round-pounds-still-in-circulation-how-to-spot-a-rare-1-coin/

In UK, not a legal tender round pound has 169 million pieces in circulation 😃