Author Topic: Maria Theresia taler identification  (Read 299 times)

Offline Malikalkamil

Maria Theresia taler identification
« on: August 08, 2018, 02:20:21 PM »
Hello everyone,
I received for my birthday this MTT, and I have doubts about its classification. It's very worn, and this fact makes classification more difficult!
I asked for information in an italian forum, and they told me it should be a coin struck in Wien between 1890 and 1919, but I couldn't find the correct classification according to the Hafner catalog.
I hope in your support, also to narrow down potential classifications!

PS weight is 28,08 grams, diamenter 40 mm.

Thanks in advance to all

Giuseppe

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Maria Theresia taler identification
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 10:28:09 PM »
By far our best expert on these coins is Levantiner. I would advise that you send him a PM.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Malikalkamil

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 01:36:06 PM »
Thank you Figleaf,
I'll send him a PM soon.

Offline Henk

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 04:11:36 PM »
Certainly minted in Vienna/Wien. Probably a relatively modern piece either Haffner 60 (1945/50 -60) or 61 (1960- ). The earlier pieces have a diameter of 39,5 mm. These later ones are larger (40 mm or more). Another characteristic is the "unclean" (I think Haffner means coarse as in German he calls it Grob und unsauber) edge inscription, evident on your piece. Haffner does not state the exact difference between 60 and 61. About Nr. 60 he does say that "Many varieties, since they also used older dies".

Offline Malikalkamil

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 12:14:48 AM »
Thanks a lot Henk for your advice, you opened my eyes!
I made a mistake when I gave you diameter, because I don't own a calipers, and I took measurements with a ruler. After your post I measured again the coin and I found diameter is a little lower than 40 mm. In this case my coin should be H54 (Vienna 1930-1945), because, according to Hafner catalog, that type has a coarse edge and diameter below 40 mm! Is it correct?