Author Topic: Muhammad Shah Rupee - Surat  (Read 258 times)

Offline TTerrier

Muhammad Shah Rupee - Surat
« on: August 08, 2018, 06:14:54 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am new to this board and really like what I see of the Mughal rupees.  I purchased a few of them to get some practice with the legends (using Plant's book and various other online sources), but I am stumped on part of the reverse of this rupee.  This is a year 1 coin from Surat (I think) - on the reverse I see ahad for year 1 and to the left of that appears to be a waw.  I can't figure out where this waw fits in the translation of the legends.  I appreciate any help from the experts!

Thanks

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Muhammad Shah Rupee - Surat
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 10:06:13 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am new to this board and really like what I see of the Mughal rupees.  I purchased a few of them to get some practice with the legends (using Plant's book and various other online sources), but I am stumped on part of the reverse of this rupee.  This is a year 1 coin from Surat (I think) - on the reverse I see ahad for year 1 and to the left of that appears to be a waw.  I can't figure out where this waw fits in the translation of the legends.  I appreciate any help from the experts!

Thanks

What you see on the word Julus indicates the vowel 'U' , this is omitted on many Rupees but is almost always written on on Surat mint coins of the latter Mughals , the word 'Surat' is written the same way, you can see it on your coin below zarb
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 08:52:09 PM by capnbirdseye »
Vic

Offline TTerrier

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 07:11:02 PM »
Thanks for your reply but I am still confused.  It looks to me like there is already a waw attached to the alef in Jalus which makes sense since the final letter is not joined to this.  I guess the small waw that seems to be floating above Jalus coiuld be part of that word if I am misreading the letters in Jalus below?

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 09:01:07 PM »
Thanks for your reply but I am still confused.  It looks to me like there is already a waw attached to the alef in Jalus which makes sense since the final letter is not joined to this.  I guess the small waw that seems to be floating above Jalus coiuld be part of that word if I am misreading the letters in Jalus below?

sorry I mistyped the word Julus, there is no visible alef in the word julus, you have jim joined to lam,  there is a short and a long vowel in the word Julus
Vic

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 11:29:23 PM »
Hi everyone,
on the reverse I see ahad for year 1 and to the left of that appears to be a waw.  I can't figure out where this waw fits in the translation of the legends. 

The small "waw" like sign over " J " of "Julus" is a "pesh", a sign which gives the sound "u"  associated with the "J" to give "Ju" .
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline TTerrier

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 06:13:11 AM »
I think I get it now.  The pesh is a diacritical mark indicating a short u attached to that consonant (in this case at least).  Thanks!