Author Topic: Shah Jahan, AR Rupee, Lahore mint, AH1040/RY 3, KM227.7 (11.4 g, 22.3 mm)  (Read 277 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Shah Jahan, AR Rupee, Lahore mint, AH1040/RY 3, KM227.7 (11.4 g, 22.3 mm)

Obverse: (Centre) La ilaha illa Allah/Muhammad/Rasool Allah (Around) Names and attributes of the Four Caliphs: Ba sudq Abu Bakr (By the Truth of Abu Bakr) Wa Adal Umar (and the Justice of Umar) Ba Rizmay Usmaan (by the Modesty of Usman) Wa Ilme Ali (and the Wisdom of Ali) 1040

Reverse: (From bottom) Zarb Lahore/3 Sahib Qiran Sani Shahi/b/ al-deen Muhammad Shah Jahan/Badshah Ghazi

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Superb coin.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Beautiful coin  8)
Vic

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
Thanks. Ironically, it is cheaper to get coins such as these outside India, even including the shipping cost.  ::)

On a related note, I wonder if the metal composition of certain coins makes them more condusive to developing "rainbow" patinas naturally. I have been told that sulphur in the air creates such patinas. But I have had a particular Vitellius Denarius develop a beutiful one in less than a year while others in the same environment have not.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Thanks. Ironically, it is cheaper to get coins such as these outside India, even including the shipping cost.  ::)

On a related note, I wonder if the metal composition of certain coins makes them more condusive to developing "rainbow" patinas naturally. I have been told that sulphur in the air creates such patinas. But I have had a particular Vitellius Denarius develop a beutiful one in less than a year while others in the same environment have not.

Has the coin been chemically cleaned in recent times? this can lead to peculiar toning colours
Vic

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
Has the coin been chemically cleaned in recent times? this can lead to peculiar toning colours
I do not believe so, but I acquired it as it stands. Such treatment produces uniform patinas (many US-based dealers come to mind, who "specialize" in creating such patinas artificially) rather than "patches" such as thse. It came from a reputed dealer/collector I trust.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
The spots at 9 and 10 o'clock indeed look sulphur induced, but is not necessarily air pollution. It may have been in bad quality paper or from a finger.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
The spots at 9 and 10 o'clock indeed look sulphur induced, but is not necessarily air pollution. It may have been in bad quality paper or from a finger.

Peter
Thanks. This would explain why they are in specific locations only.
On high-grade Seleukid coins and certain republican denarii, I have often seen rainbow colours around the edges of raised areas.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
If it's along the edge on both sides it was likely bad paper enveloppes. If it's on one side, it's more likely to be a bad quality coin cabinet or its lining. The bottom line is that in all cases, it's just chemical detritus.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.