Author Topic: Austrian beer token  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Austrian beer token
« on: July 06, 2007, 12:13:16 AM »
Another special for dalehall

Salm Brau will give you a Kr?gel (small stone tanker) of beer for this brass token (6.9 grams, 30.1 mm). Their web site definitely makes you thirsty.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
Re: Austrian beer token
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 01:05:16 AM »
Nice one!

I don't have many Bier type tokens, odd as that may seem to collectors in this area.
Here is one of the few but I am particularly proud of it.  The exact purpose of the tokens still eludes me after all this time.

Dale

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Austrian beer token
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 01:24:12 AM »
Beer tokens are not only in use in the Netherlands, their use is increasing. I have quite a few for trade in my coin trading post. The reason for using them is security. Guests buy tokens from a central point, where trusted cashiers work. The waiters just deal in tokens that are not worth stealing. This is especially useful when there is a sudden surge of business, e.g. during a festival. The beer hall can hire temporary staff, without having to worry about being robbed by the new people.

Here, we have giant dancings in regions where young people have nowhere else to go. They all use tokens. Recently, seigniorage has been rediscovered. Beer hall owners now pull stunts like wanting three tokens for a beer and selling them in multiples of five and changing design every once in a while. The old leftovers are suddenly worthless. No one collects them ... yet. There are also reports of fake beer tokens from China, appearing a week after a new design has been introduced! That may be true or it may be a tall story, but it was in a major newspaper.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.