Author Topic: BT?  (Read 1094 times)

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
BT?
« on: April 14, 2013, 04:51:48 PM »
Is this what I think it is, namely something to do with the UK's ex-state telecoms provider, British Telecom? If not, what is it? If yes, what was it used for? It doesn't seem to match the specifications for any British coin so probably isn't a test coin for engineers to use in payphones.

Brass, 23.3 mm, 4.53 g.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: BT?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 11:19:28 PM »
Maybe there is a connection with this company?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 12:32:10 AM »
That certainly seems the answer but no mention of any such token on the site, I can't imagine a use use other than for a coffee machine.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 07:38:41 PM »
Aha, I think you've nailed it, thank you. It was acquired in Sweden and not the UK, as well.

Coffee or parking are probably the most likely uses. There's an outside chance it's a transport token, along the lines of the fairly anonymous ones issued by the Gothenburg and Stockholm shipyards, but I think the chance is small, since Mjölby is a small place, presumably with limited public transport, and there wouldn't be the bulk usage that made such schemes viable in the bigger cities.

Offline scroggs

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 10:16:03 PM »
This B T token is listed in Erik Stolbergs  Danske Spille - Og Automatmærker 1986 (Danish Game and Automatic Markers)  as Nr. 555 23mm and 23mm is also the size of the old Danish 25 öre coin (1924-1988)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 11:32:11 PM »
A search revealed BT is a Danish tabloid newspaper which offers general news about various subjects such as sports, politics and current affairs.

B.T. was established in 1916. The paper is based in Copenhagen. A large, red neon sign displays the company's logo at the square Trianglen in Østerbro, a part of Copenhagen. B.T. is part of Berlingske Media Group.
Wikipedia

Use still remains plausible as coffee or parking.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.