Author Topic: Zands, Karim Khan, 1182 AH, AR 2-abbasi (8-Shahi), Dar al-Marz Rasht mint  (Read 214 times)

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Zands, Karim Khan, 1182 AH, AR 2-abbasi (8-Shahi), Dar al-Marz Rasht mint (1172-1193 AH)
Weight 9.06 gm
Diameter 23 mm
Metal Silver
Obverse is the Farsi couplet: “شد آفتاب و ماه زر و سیم در جهان/ از سکه امام بحق صاحب الزمان”, Shod aftab-O-mah, zar-o-sim dar jahan/ az sekkee-ye Imam be-haqq Sahib-oz-Zamman, meaning: “the Sun & the Moon become gold and silver/ from the rightful Imam the owner of the time”.
Reverse: Inside a plain circle, mint “dar al-Marz Rasht دار المرز رشت “, and date “ 1182 ۱۱۸۲ ”; on top, "ya karim " یا کریم , “O Gracious One” (invoking an epithet of God, but alluding to Karim Khan).
Nice reverse style.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Thank you very much for the transcription as usual.

I have a shahi struck from dies of the same type but 1180, with the addition of a '2' in a triangle in the lower margin, and I see traces of  similar triangle on your piece. Do you know what this might signify?

Alan

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Dear Alan, thank you for your remark. I have no idea about the digit " 2 ۲ " at the bottom but I saw a similar coin to yours in Vcoins which has the date 1180 on both sides with a similar shape to yours at the bottom of the reverse.
https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/pasargad_coins/122/product/persia_zand_karim_khan_silver_double_abbasi_mint_of_rasht_ah_1180_nice/914155/Default.aspx

Maythem

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
What is al-Marz?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank Peter for asking, al-Marz means "Boundaries, Frontiers or Borderlines". In Arabic " الحدود ".

Maythem

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Thank you Maythem, sorry for the late reply but I am away in London at the moment.

It looks as if that one has a 'two' in it too: a mystery to solve.

Alan

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
The abode of the frontier. Indeed. The Russians repeatedly thought it ought to be a Russian city. Different times. Thank you.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Peter, we still have not solved the meaning of number " 2 ۲ " under the date on the reverse of Alan's coin.

Maythem
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:00:22 AM by aws22 »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
I can only speculate about the two. Here are two scenarios.

1. Someone proposed a slightly different way to produce the coins. As a test, they new method coins got a two and after some time, the coins with and without a two were compared and counted. This is similar to a die number.

2. As the Russians got pushy again, it was decided to move the mint and (more important) the stock of silver away from the city, to a safer spot. The coins minted there were marked with a two. This is akin to an officina number.

I like the second scenario better. Important changes to production are more likely to be tried out in Tehran or another one of the largest mints.

Peter

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Peter for the clarification, I tend to agree with the first scenario; by looking at this gold ½ Mohur Ashrafi - Karim Khan Zand Type C; Rasht mint in Numista, there is a number " 5 ۵ " below the date " 1191 ۱۱۹۱ ", which could be an indication to batch (die number) 5 of the minted coins.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces61720.html

Maythem

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
there is a number " 5 ۵ " below the date " 1191 ۱۱۹۱ "
I only see a dot ? (another is placed over the date, that could be ornaments  ???)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Saro, you are right, I thought it was a circle as shown in the attachment with high contrast and I thought it could be a  "5 ۵" or a dot. The dot above the date belongs to the letter " B ب  " of the word " zarb ضرب ".

Maythem
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 09:59:21 PM by aws22 »