Author Topic: Curious coin of Bahmanis of Deccan  (Read 131 times)

Offline Rajagopal

Curious coin of Bahmanis of Deccan
« on: August 01, 2018, 02:36:28 PM »
As per G/G, the only ruler to have 'al mustansir billah al ghani abul muzaffar' on the obverse is Ala al din Ahmad Shah II (G/G BH 88). The following coin, at first look, has the same couplets as BH 88 with a weight of 4.6 grams...On closer look, however, the reverse has two additional words, one above the first Ahmad and another to the right of (before) Ahmad.. If the word which immediately precedes the first Ahmad can be read as 'bin' , then the word above is tempted to be read as 'Humayun"...This type is not listed for Ala al din Humayun and since those parts are only partly present and the date (probably at bottom) is missing, what else could be the alternative attributions???..Eagerly waiting for your expert comments....Regards, Rajagopal.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Curious coin of Bahmanis of Deccan
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 10:14:29 PM »
The question is excellent. I hope your reading is correct, but I cannot get you any closer to an answer. Perhaps more people will see this after the summer holidays. You may want to add a post in mid-september to attract attention again.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rajagopal

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 06:32:13 PM »
Thanks Peter..Shall surely try that

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 07:39:57 PM »
Certainly not an expert on these, but i understand your reading problem.
Could not find any specimen on-line which clearly showed the part above and before the first Ahmad. Though on some specimen it seems clear there is no space for anything because of the shape of the coin edge.
I think Drnsreedhar might be considered one of the experts who could comment on this ?

Anthony

Offline Rajagopal

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 04:20:43 PM »
Thanks..I hope Drnsreedhar sees this thread and comment..if not, i shall try sending a personal message to him