Author Topic: Getting Coins In UK  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Getting Coins In UK
« on: July 21, 2018, 03:37:54 PM »
My elder sister is currently in UK (Manchester) and I would (as expected) like to get maximum advantage of her stay in UK in terms of getting coins. ;)

Is there any trick which she can try to get the recent 10p, 50p, £1 and £2 commemorative coins? They plan to spend at least one weekend in London before flying back to India in last week of August and I hear that they are planning for Scotland too.

I wouldn't ask her to visit a dealer though. I'm sure she will try whatever suggestions we give her! :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Getting Coins In UK
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 06:12:55 PM »
First and foremost, there is no need to fear coin dealers. On the contrary, they are your best bet and by far the most efficient way to score a heap of modern commemorative coins in high grade in little time (tourists always lack time.) Britain is a collector's heaven with British coins plentiful available and a good number of coin dealers. Many have their inventory online, so Gauri can just pick up the coins you ordered and paid for with a credit card, but the cheapest coins may not get listed.

Therefore, you need to do some work. Make a want list that any dealer can understand with a maximum you are willing to pay and specify minimum grade e.g. unc or better for coins from 2000, ef or better for coins from 1968 to 2000, vf or ef for earlier coins. All she needs to do is give the dealer that list and pay for what he comes up with. Practically no dealer would mind marking coins on the list he sold to her, but she needs to cross out coins found in circulation to keep the list up to date. Don't worry about grading. It is hard to imagine a dealer stocking bad grade recent coins. Don't worry about price differences. On cheap modern coins they hardly matter.

For the rest, it is a question of handling and checking as many coins as possible. As a tourist, that's difficult and often not even very productive. On a short stay, don't count on many interesting (not too worn or damaged) commemoratives and no commemorative 1 pound coins at all, but you can pick up loads of different type circulation coins.

Avoid using credit and debit cards. Hand out small denomination banknotes, give change with coins you have already checked. Your best bet are machines that give change, e.g. those for buying public transport tickets. They don't normally give change in banknotes, so feed them the largest denomination notes they accept. In London, cash in your Oyster Card before you leave. Your worst bet is a busy supermarket cashier and street market stall holders. If they do any banking business, they can ask for coins, but many banks don't have coins any more. If you have to share a table in a food or drink place, check your coins. Chances are that the others on your table are willing to check their coins for you.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 06:25:01 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline quaziright

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 07:38:16 PM »
I agree, Uk is like Canada; you’re very likely to find many commemoratives in change from 50p to £2. The only thing is that you have keep spending in cash and I’m so trigger happy with my credit card. Else, the best way to go about is to get rolls from the bank, sort out what you want and deposit the rest back

Offline onecenter

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 08:20:46 PM »
I would try a few banks and obtain rolls of coins, if possible.
Mark

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 09:45:39 PM »
I would try a few banks and obtain rolls of coins, if possible.

I'm sorry to say that the staff in most bank branches most of the time will look at you as if you asked them to sacrifice their first-born if you walk in and ask for e.g. £5 in 10p pieces. Customer service as an end in itself, rather than as a direct route to selling a valuable product like a mortgage or a personal loan, is a completely alien concept to the British banking industry.

You *may* strike lucky if you try a quiet branch of one of the main high street banks (HSBC, Barclays, NatWest, Lloyds). The other banks that used to be building societies have no history of handling cash at all and often refuse even for account holders.

BTW coins come in bags in the UK and, even if the clerk is willing and able to help you, s/he may not understand you if you ask for a "roll" of coins.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 09:54:07 PM »
In addition - recent commemoratives are somewhat tricky to find,  even the plain 2017 dated coins (apart from the pounds) are still not about.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline onecenter

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 11:31:36 PM »
I'm sorry to say that the staff in most bank branches most of the time will look at you as if you asked them to sacrifice their first-born if you walk in and ask for e.g. £5 in 10p pieces. Customer service as an end in itself, rather than as a direct route to selling a valuable product like a mortgage or a personal loan, is a completely alien concept to the British banking industry.

You *may* strike lucky if you try a quiet branch of one of the main high street banks (HSBC, Barclays, NatWest, Lloyds). The other banks that used to be building societies have no history of handling cash at all and often refuse even for account holders.

BTW coins come in bags in the UK and, even if the clerk is willing and able to help you, s/he may not understand you if you ask for a "roll" of coins.
Sounds like a very sad state of affairs for collectors, let alone the public.  Do change-making machines exist in Britain, as in a person puts in a £5 banknote and you may receive 10, 50p coins?
Mark

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 05:22:09 AM »
No bank branch in London or Manchester will entertain any such request.
First of all, the security guy will ask you if you have an account with them and refuse to let you in.
If that obstacle is crossed successfully then the same query will come from the counter operations woman.

Post offices may be a better option, especially if they give locally assembled 50p packets.

For 2£ coins, the ticket vending machines on the tube, are the best option.

Offline Saikat

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 07:16:44 AM »
Hi,
My two sources of buying non-circulating coins
a. The post office sells sets of coins which are expansive but collectable. Mostly you get recent coins.
b. The place where I usually go in UK for short duration, have a weekly sell called carboot sell. There apart from the other stuff a few coin sellers come and I get coins in reasonable costs.

Of course there is also ebay uk where the shipping time will be drastically lower than shipping to India (the last one I bought in India came only after 4 months) 

Thanks,
Saikat

Online Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 12:20:48 PM »
In addition - recent commemoratives are somewhat tricky to find,  even the plain 2017 dated coins (apart from the pounds) are still not about.
Yes, Andy’s right.  It’s perhaps the worst time to be coming to the UK for coins.  Commemoratives that are issued are probably very quickly snapped up by collectors and eBay profiteerers.  You might find the odd 2000s £2 or 50p commemorative in change but that’s about it.

It might depend on area though.  Manchester might have seen more new coins issued, I don’t know.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Getting Coins In UK
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 04:03:23 PM »
Thank you for all the responses! I'm sure my sister (and niece) have shopping plans in their mind ;) but I don't know whether they are going to use credit card...very unlikely I think. If they are going to use cash, then I am hoping for something to turn up. I'll let you know what all they find.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 04:37:03 PM »
If banks in the UK don't give customers bags of coins...how do merchants get coins to make change with?

In the US, to the best of my knowledge, all merchants get their coins for change making from the banks.

I've often stood in line behind a merchant that was making deposits and getting many rolls of coins.
Even though electronic purchases and deposits are slowly taking over, coins are still needed.

Dale

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 05:14:18 PM »
If banks in the UK don't give customers bags of coins...how do merchants get coins to make change with?

In the US, to the best of my knowledge, all merchants get their coins for change making from the banks.

I've often stood in line behind a merchant that was making deposits and getting many rolls of coins.
Even though electronic purchases and deposits are slowly taking over, coins are still needed.

Dale

If you are a business customer that needs to handle cash, your agreement with the bank will include this (and a fee for the handling). Private individuals handling cash at the <£100 level are about as welcome in a bank as an outbreak of bubonic plague.

My experience in the US (albeit a while back since I've not been there since 2006) is that customer service in banking is alive and well, and tellers will bend over backwards to meet your requests providing you're not holding up a huge queue of people.

Online Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 05:46:40 PM »
That’s the thing though, bank branches are closing.  Not so much in the cities but certainly in the suburbs and more rural areas.  People are using banks less, and they’re cutting staff.  City centre banks have fewer staff on than they used to.  As has been said, if you don’t have an account with them they’re unlikely to bend themselves backwards for you in the current climate.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 06:33:49 PM »
My experience in the US (albeit a while back since I've not been there since 2006) is that customer service in banking is alive and well, and tellers will bend over backwards to meet your requests providing you're not holding up a huge queue of people.

I have that good experience only in Mexico, Sri Lanka, Belgium and Denmark.
Every where else, the Banks avoid handling coins unless you are their regular customer.