Author Topic: Akbar Agra Half Rupee  (Read 522 times)

Offline jaspersaini

Akbar Agra Half Rupee
« on: July 18, 2018, 07:18:32 PM »
Sharing my another eBay hunt, this one is definitely Akbar's Agra 1/2 Rupee ( of course If I am not wrong)

Dimensions - 25 mm, 5.42 Gm.

Expert views, and comments are most welcome.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 10:13:22 PM by jaspersaini »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Akbar Agra Half Rupee ???
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 08:49:46 AM »
All I can do is admire the coin and tell you what you already know. It is fun to remember that Agra was not the residence of the Mughal in Akbar's time and wasn't even called Agra. Fatehpur Sikri was capital and the city was known as Akbarabad. At the same time, it must have been one of the most important cities of the Mughal empire, even without the Taj Mahal. A coin that is truly a piece of history.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Saikat

• Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 08:57:02 AM »
Peter,
I think Shah Jahan renamed Agra as Akbarabad as a mark of respect to his grand dad.
Thanks,
Saikat

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 09:01:32 AM »
 :) Always surprised people actually read my banter. Wikipedia is wrong or just a bit misleading?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Saikat

• Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 09:56:42 AM »
Peter,
I always try to read your posts to get an alternate and better perspective! However here wiki is misleading as even Shah Jahan minted coins with Agra. This is detailed here
Saikat

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 01:09:33 PM »
Peter,
I always try to read your posts to get an alternate and better perspective! However here wiki is misleading as even Shah Jahan minted coins with Agra. This is detailed here
Saikat

Wiki is full of errors, particularly noticeable for us coin collectors, wiki can be edited by anyone, I've previously edited the date given for Sher Shah Suri as we know from coins that Farid Khan had assumed the royal title of Sher Shah in 1538 and not 1540 as then given by Wiki.

The Suri dynasty gets no mention under the Sultans of Dehli even though they ruled huge areas under the titles of Sultan and Shah, so how do we define the Suri dynasty?

This alone has lead to other errors in publications, one book I have here (pub 2006) gives a chronology of the later dynasties of India.
But look at the Lodi dynasty and what follows it, no mention of the Suri's (1538-1554) at all   ??? so a book giving a chronology misses out one of the most powerful of all the later Indian dynasties! and the reason? they clearly copied all their info from Wikipedia
Vic