Author Topic: Ilkhan Mongols of Persia, Abaqa Khan, AR Dirham, Tiflis mint, (663-680 AH)  (Read 188 times)

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Ilkhan Mongols of Persia, Abaqa Khan, AR Dirham, Tiflis mint, (663-680 AH / 1265-1282 AD)
Weight 2.55 gm
Diameter 20-21 mm
Metal Silver
Obverse: قاءان العادل, “Qaan al-‘adil”, meaning, “The just Khan”.
Reverse: لا اله الا الله وحده لا شريك له, “La Ilah Ila Allah Wahdaho La shareek lahu “.
The reverse side has 4 segments with the mint “Tiflis تفليس” is written at the right lower segment near the rim at 4 O’clock.
There are 8 type of different “qaan al-'adil” dirhams that are minted in the reign of Abaqa Khan. This coin is of type 2 minted in Tiflis.

Maythem
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 11:00:23 AM by THCoins »
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
A very characteristic coin of the era. Pitty that your pictures are a bit small.
The black at the edges, are this deposits you might be able to remove with some cleaning or is this real damage due to environmental conditions ?
There seem to be a lot more qaan al-'adil dirhams on the market lately. Offcourse that is good for us collectors !

Anthony

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Anthony for your clarification. There is a lot to learn from those coins which I am working on this now.

Maythem

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Dear Anthony, the attachment shows the mint place "Tiflis تفلیس".
The note, shows a symbol out of 10 symbols that determines the Hijri Islamic month in which this coin was struck. For example if this coin was struck in 669 AH then this coin was struck in the Hijri month "Rajab رجب".

Maythem

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
That's what I find most interesting, that some of these coins were dated to the month and some even to the day. But I'd like to know how you can distinguish the months exactly, if they work with symbols instead of words.

-- Paul

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Paul for asking, please refer to the following link where it shows the "Guide to Read Ilkhan Coins".
http://ilkhans.altaycoins.com/
The symbol will not give the exact month but the possibilities of 1 to 7 months within a given year.

Maythem

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Dear Paul, I have made an inquiry to Mr. Yiğit Altay on the shown link regarding the symbol shown and his answer was " Your specimen belongs to Type 2 and the work that is represented in my website is based on the type 1 qaaniks. So type C "pointed star" does not imply any month. It is just a design element".
So please note that this symbol is a design element.

Maythem

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Fine initiative, Maythem. Thank you.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Peter. The date on such coins is written on the edges but I find difficulty in reading it, but I am learning. It is in Arabic but it looks like bad handwriting. All you need is prior knowledge of the reign period of the ruler so you can correctly read the date.

Maythem
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:04:11 PM by aws22 »