Author Topic: San Luis Potosi Coin/Token?  (Read 765 times)

Offline CameronK

San Luis Potosi Coin/Token?
« on: July 10, 2018, 01:55:16 AM »
I found this in a collection, I'd like to know if someone recognizes it. It's 21mm, 4.6g and I think it's copper. I can make out San Luis Potosi on one side, under what looks like a pyramid and a crown on top. The other side, I think I can make out a figure on the back but it may be just one sided.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 02:47:00 AM by CameronK »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: San Luis Potosi Coin/Token?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 07:39:04 AM »
San Luis Potosí is hot and dry, so it is unlikely to be a hacienda token. That leaves mining token and revolutionary emergency coin as good options. I don't have a good catalogue of either, but I would have a preference for the emergency coin option since I know there are many of them, while I know of few mining tokens. Look for the period around 1910.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 02:21:50 PM »
This is the only thing I could find.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 12:46:00 AM »
There's little left on the left picture and it's hard to get the right picture right. However, if you turn around the left picture LUIS•POT is clear. After a stiff drink I can momentarily see an eagle enjoying a snake on a miniature mountain on the right. Many 1915 emergency coins have that eagle, but KM doesn't mention San Luis Potosi as having issued any of them. Still, it was a mint city.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 07:42:23 AM »
It's a Mexican hacienda type token, Grove 880 in 'Tokens of Mexico'.    I'll scan and post his drawing and description.   Reverse is flat, there is no date.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 07:55:48 AM by bgriff99 »