Author Topic: New 50p coin British Antarctic Territories  (Read 295 times)

Offline Col1n666

New 50p coin British Antarctic Territories
« on: July 03, 2018, 04:28:38 PM »
New 50p to preorder from Pobjoy. Personally I'll give this one a miss..

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
Re: New 50p coin British Antarctic Territories
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 05:46:26 PM »
Iíd posted it at a similar time.

At £16.63 before VAT, itís considerably more than even the Royal Mint would charge.  Likewise I think I will give it a miss.  Saturate the market with commemorative 50p coins from every territory you can think of and surely collectors will lose interest eventually.  Penguins, monkeys, Royal anniversaries, Beatrix Potter, Paddington and now this.  Yawn.

At least Jersey, Guernsey and Alderney appear to have avoided being infected with this bug since 2003.

The commemorative seven-sided 50 releases seem to be endless, and now British Antarctic Territory are getting in on the act.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 06:06:53 PM by Alan71 »

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 07:13:40 PM »
Somehow this very ridiculous and expensive coin is proving very popular amongst collectors.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 12:19:32 PM »
I think the *yawn* effect starts kicking in at 12 issues a year. My evidence is limited to Polish commemoratives, but it's a nice, biblical number, so there. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 04:09:48 PM »
At least in contrary to most of the primate coins of Gibraltar, there is a connection between the theme and issuing authority. I may even reconsider the "very ridiculous" part of my opinion if they also issue a coin for the RRS Sir David Attenborough itself (the new research vessel on which Boaty McBoatface will be located) but so far there is no sign of such coin.

Other than the illustrated packaging they did not come up with any justification for the 60% increase in price. Tower Mint sells its commemorative 50p coins through the Westminster Collection at 5 pounds each, Royal Mint at 10 pounds and Pobjoy Mint itself also so far always sold them for under 10 pounds. Although popular, I see that collectors who usually buy dozens now stick with much less because of the increased price so sales figures may still be disappointing.

The mints are indeed milking the success of the 50p coins and of the 7-sided shape and indeed popularity will eventually decrease as people will start to loose interest.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 10:49:47 PM »
The coin appears to have now sold out. The page of the coin was taken offline.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 09:26:26 AM »
The coin appears to have now sold out. The page of the coin was taken offline.
Yes, youíre right, just tried it myself.  All four Gibraltar monkey coins are still available despite being cheaper (and 1,500 more of each issue).  Clearly the near £20 price tag (including tax) for Boaty didnít put people off.

Offline Col1n666

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 10:31:10 AM »
Some up on eBay already......

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 01:32:49 PM »
For anyone who regrets not having bought one, a very limited amount will be back in stock next week. :)

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 03:01:28 PM »
For anyone who regrets not having bought one, a very limited amount will be back in stock next week. :)
Thanks for that!  I might just succumb then.  Itís never going to be cheaper than what Pobjoy are selling it for.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 09:58:05 PM »
Is there any more news on this?  Iíve checked Pobjoyís site quite regularly this week and not seen it.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 10:04:14 PM »
Is there any more news on this?  Iíve checked Pobjoyís site quite regularly this week and not seen it.

The coins will be available again, you just have to continue checking the website. There may be a little delay because of underestimated demand and vacations.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 10:19:48 PM »
The coins will be available again, you just have to continue checking the website. There may be a little delay because of underestimated demand and vacations.
Thanks.  Itís really only the eBay prices that are keeping me interested in this.  Currently there is one on there at £70 with 24 bids. It baffles me that people are willing to pay that.  I begrudge paying the £20 that Pobjoy were offering it for.