Author Topic: Unknown small Coin - Roman possibly???? -UPDATED  (Read 317 times)

Offline bhx7

Unknown small Coin - Roman possibly???? -UPDATED
« on: June 25, 2018, 10:56:22 PM »
Hi All

Hope you can help I have this small coin which I believe is bronze. It weighs 1.84g, diameter 11.2mm and 2.2mm thick.
Any help would be appreciated. Think that could say ANTIOXOS down the left hand side, can't make out the right.

Thanks

UPDATE--- Seems to be a coin of SELEUKID KINGS OF SYRIA. One of the Antiochos  but not sure which one - Apollo reverse BAΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:14:53 AM by bhx7 »

Offline jkk

Re: Unknown small Coin - Roman possibly???? -UPDATED
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 05:20:24 AM »
It's minimal help, but after combing Sear, I find that the reverse looks a lot like another reverse (SG6895) that depicts Seleukos II. SG6895 is AV, so this is only useful for a further description of that Apollo: naked Apollo standing left holding arrow and resting on bow. If you look for an AE12 or AE13 with that reverse, you may get closer to an ID. The obverse looks so far off center that all it got of a bust was the locks of hair, which as you have experienced is a serious complicating factor.
Jonathan

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 10:14:47 AM »
I'd go with Antiochos III. THe right picture has to be turned 45 degrees anti-clockwise to show the bottom of the bust facing right.
Not uncommon for these to be not well struck. Like this one on Vcoins.

Offline bhx7

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 02:10:56 PM »
Thanks folks. Totally appreciate your help and taking the time. Cheers