News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

More Indian tokens

Started by Figleaf, June 17, 2018, 10:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Saro, one of the pillars of WoC, answered a challenge when he posted in this thread. If I would set up the infrastructure, he would fill it. I did and he did. In doing so, he corrected many small and not so small mistakes in other sources, so that we now have a magnificent new section in WoT on the tokens of the Tehran buses.

Even if you don't collect tokens, it is a delight to see the origin of the pretty pictures on the tokens and find out what they mean. If you do collect them, you will enjoy the full description and translation of the texts. Do you want to make corrections? You can.

Best of all, the page shows once again how it is possible for anyone, irrespective of age or collecting interest to contribute to WoT, learn a great deal about the tokens, the country they were used in and the Wikipedia language. Do you think you can do it too? Contact me and we'll work it out together. Remember that there are plenty of coin pages on the net, but many tokens remain uncatalogued. Hint: WoT does not have a single section on Indian tokens yet.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

I nagged about Indian tokens several times, but nobody rose to the challenge. In that situation, the best solution is to start something yourself. The opportunity arose when I bumped into an advanced Belgian collector who had done a study of the tokens of the Habib bank ... in Dutch. We made a similar deal as the one described above and the results are in. A beautiful page with memories running from 1941 to 1974.

Have you ever seen a 200+ grams numismatic piece before? Well, it's a bar, rather than a token, but it is part of a story that starts in Bombay, continues in Karachi with help for displaced people, a skyscraper and nationalisation and that's not even the end of the story. I have been nagging about putting the Taj Mahal on a coins. Here it is on a bar and not looking bad either.

There's still work being done on the page, but grant yourself a peek preview and consider that for tokens, the challenge is not in buying them, but in FINDING them.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

capnbirdseye

Although I don't collect them myself I've noticed large numbers of Indian tokens appear on some of the dealers websites on Ebay, quite often they are either canteen tokens or mill tokens and are some are very attractive.

These have to separated from the even larger numbers of religious tokens of one form or another
Vic

malj1

Quote from: Figleaf on February 10, 2019, 06:28:18 PM

... I have been nagging about putting the Taj Mahal on a coins....
Peter

Here is a machine token showing precisely that.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

And now, Indian telephone tokens figure on WoT with some really nice pictures. How can you collect modern Indian coins and not have these? ;) It's wikipedia software. Any registered member can add and edit.

Peter