Author Topic: India: New series of circulation coins  (Read 7832 times)

Offline quaziright

Re: India: New series of circulation coins
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2019, 03:16:03 PM »
Here: New Rs 20 coin shaped as 12-edged polygon to be in circulation soon, says

In my opinion, a bit boring, simple but modern design, I like it. And the Rs20 coin is the first polygonal bimetallic coin with a “silver” ring minted for circulation, the rest of polygonal coins hace brass or copper ring and nickel center.

Good job India, hope that the poor struck quality will be improved too.

Those lines remind me of the €1 and €2 coins for some reason. Possibility to scam people in Europe by passing off these in the euro zone in change?

Wasn’t there something like that going on in the UK before with pound coins and 5 rupee cupro nickel coins?

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2019, 02:09:38 AM »

In my opinion, a bit boring, simple but modern design, I like it. And the Rs20 coin is the first polygonal bimetallic coin with a “silver” ring minted for circulation, the rest of polygonal coins hace brass or copper ring and nickel center.

In Rs 10 and Rs 20 coins, the metals of central pieces and the annular rings have been swapped.

Rs 10 has outer ring of Nickel Brass (yellow) and central portion of Nickel silver.

Rs 20 has outer ring of Nickel Silver and central portion of Nickel Brass.

GoI must have done this to avoid wastage of metal. Central portion of Nickel Brass which was cut out from Rs10 coin can be used as central piece in Rs 20.

My friend Pabitra ji may throw some more light on world wide practices.

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2019, 06:47:29 PM »
Those lines remind me of the €1 and €2 coins for some reason. Possibility to scam people in Europe by passing off these in the euro zone in change?

A vague possibility maybe. But these coins are bigger - 27 mm (Rs 10) vs 23.25 mm (€1). And the Rs 20 coin has quite a different appearance (polygonal) anyway. Now as for those vertical lines, the Hungarian 200 forint circulation coins have them too. And the Dutch last pre-euro series had some - fewer though - vertical lines on the 5 and 10 ct coins. Guess there is no copyright here. ;)

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
India: New series of circulation coins
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2019, 08:28:02 AM »
General reaction by people regarding the new ₹20 coin is not positive. In many parts of the country, ₹10 are not accepted (in spite of RBI's repeated warnings) and people fear that same will happen with ₹20 coin too...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2019, 01:17:14 PM »
Dear friends

The Election Commission of India declared the dates of general election 2019 just now.

This means Govt has issued new coinage series just before imposition of code of conduct.

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

Offline beekar

• My Blog
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2019, 04:32:58 PM »
Before release of this new set, Hyderabad mint has issued a 2 rs coin in 2019. The photo of this coin is collected from Internet. No knowledge whether some other mints have done same. No information about issue of other denominations also.

Offline Navaneeth

• Numismatics Collections
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2019, 05:47:27 PM »
Before release of this new set, Hyderabad mint has issued a 2 rs coin in 2019. The photo of this coin is collected from Internet. No knowledge whether some other mints have done same. No information about issue of other denominations also.

I have got the 2 Rs 2019 one. But I think there will be 1 Re and 5 Rs too. The 10 Rs 2018 came lately due to shortage in supply of raw materials and am doubtful of 2019 ones as new series will be coming up now.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2019, 11:07:52 AM »
It looks like the die used for the 2019 2 rupees above was worn. Maybe it is telling that it wasn't replaced?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2019, 11:12:33 AM »

As already pointed out by Chrisild, the possibility of mixing Indian coins for Euros is rather remote. On the other hand, for 1 Euro ( 23.25 mm, 7.5 gms) , Hungary 100 Forints ( 23.8 mm, 8 gms) or Turkey 50 Kurus ( 23.85 mm, 7 gms) would be better choice.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 12:39:27 PM by Pabitra »

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2019, 11:17:03 AM »
Wasn’t there something like that going on in the UK before with pound coins and 5 rupee cupro nickel coins?
For UK 1 £ ( old, round one, 22.5 mm, 9 gms), India 5 Rupees Copper Nickel is too thin for same weight since specific weight of Copper Nickel is much higher. The confusing candidates with Nickel Brass and hence the yellow colour are Sri Lanka 5 Rupees ( 9.5 gms ) or Ghana 500 Cedis ( 9.17 gms), both of which were minted by the Royal mint so due consideration was taken in to account.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:28:34 AM by Pabitra »

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2019, 11:26:47 AM »
In Rs 10 and Rs 20 coins, the metals of central pieces and the annular rings have been swapped.

Rs 10 has outer ring of Nickel Brass (yellow) and central portion of Nickel silver.

Rs 20 has outer ring of Nickel Silver and central portion of Nickel Brass.

GoI must have done this to avoid wastage of metal. Central portion of Nickel Brass which was cut out from Rs10 coin can be used as central piece in Rs 20.

My friend Pabitra ji may throw some more light on world wide practices.

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

Sanjay ji,
Indian mint seems to have borrowed the concept from Mexican mint but only partially

See reply #2

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,36414.0.html

Till the core size is indicated or measured, one can not be sure.

Regarding swapping, it is normal for countries to have one coin with yellow ring and other one with white, whenever the country has two Bimetallics.

Very few countries have same colour bimetallic ( Algeria 10 Dinars KM#124 is only one) or more than two bimetallic coins ( Kenya and Mexico are the only one left, Mauritania shifted to one trimetallic).

Theoretically, the preferred choice was White ring which used to be Copper Nickel since that alloy has high wear and tear resistance but now that principle appears to have been given a bye in view of plated steel rings and cores.

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2019, 05:31:09 AM »

Dear BK Sir

Our mints continuously produce definitive coins every day. However it is not likely that they switch to next years dies (say 2019 dies) on 1st January of each year. It is more likely that they will wait for exhaustion of 2018 dies before switching to 2019 dies.

Considering the fact that we are in middle of March, I feel all mints might have started producing 2019 definitive coins of pre existing design few weeks back. We may get these coins after wait of 6-8 months.

Now that GoI has issued new series of visually impaired friendly coins, logically all mints should switch to new series soon.

So the 2019 definitive coins of pre existing series could be scarce.

Regards

Sanjay Kansal

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2019, 06:02:51 AM »
Not really true as far as ground reality is concerned, Sanjay ji.
2018 Noida mint circulation coins are not yet available for love or money.

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2019, 08:01:12 AM »
The Ten Rs coins of new series have inner core of Nickel Silver and the outer ring of Nickel Brass.

Whereas the pre existing Ten Rs coins have inner core of Cupro Nickel and outer ring of Aluminium Bronze.

Thus mints will take some time to procure coils of new metals. Before that, they will like to exhaust the existing stock of coils.

Therefore, we may not soon see the 10Rs and 20Rs coins of new coinage series very soon.

There is no change in metal composition of Re 1, Rs 2 and Rs 5 coins. So these denominations may be available soon.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2019, 03:47:42 PM »
According to an Indian press article:

The new series of Rs 2 and Rs 5 will be the first to be launched by April 30. It will be followed by Re 1 coins which will come in circulation by May 15. The coins of Rs 10 and Rs 20 will be rolled out by May 31.