Author Topic: Eastern Qarakhanid billon dirham, second period  (Read 160 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Eastern Qarakhanid billon dirham, second period
« on: June 09, 2018, 01:38:47 PM »
Here's a curious dirham of the obscure Second Period of Qarakhanid coinage (1040-1130 AD), when coins were rare and usually badly made. This one is called billon, but it really looks like darkened bronze. Weakly struck and a bit worn, hard to read. It was minted in Shash about 1060 AD under Tabghach (that's a khan title) Ibrahim b. Nasr. I wonder whether the Kochnev number is known? On Zeno, I only see other mints of Ibrahim.

BI dirham Qarakhanids. Tabghach-khan Ibrahim b. Nasr. Mint Shash, year 45x = about 1060. 25 mm, 3.14 gr.

-- Paul

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Eastern Qarakhanid billon dirham, second period
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 02:30:55 PM »
The deposits helpfully increast contrast a bit. One wonders whys these are rare as you say. Were just a few made due to metal shortage, was there no use for them, or were they reminted later ? Do you have any idea ?

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 03:34:45 PM »
Good questions, but we don't have many sources to look for answers. The Qarakhanid period has not been good for Chach, apparently, in spite of the Qarakhanid's mastery of technology. It lost more than its independence. Something prepared a takeover by the Khwarezmshahs.

[speculation]A development that could explain the decelerating rate of the coinage, the weak strikes and the worsening design is disease. We know from the Mongol period that cities could be devastated by a contagious disease. Minters and engravers, working in the centre, would be vulnerable.[/speculation]

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 01:12:05 AM »
Before 1040, Qarakhanid coins had numerous types and there are plenty of bronze coins to be found - and the billon or low-silver dirhams are not difficult either. After that year, the empire split into an Eastern and a Western khaganate, after which coins were scarce and silver nowhere. Chach is in the Eastern part, but I couldn't find an Ibrahim b. Nasr in Album. So... I'm at a loss here.

-- Paul

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 11:47:26 AM »
Have you tried a PM to Toofast?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.