Author Topic: UK Commemorative coins for 2019  (Read 17333 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
Re: UK Commemorative coins for 2019
« Reply #300 on: August 25, 2019, 02:36:32 PM »
My message above was to confirm that the 3 Beatrix Potter coins will not be released. I have now made this more clear in my message. That their issuance was cancelled so far were only rumours.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #301 on: August 25, 2019, 02:39:42 PM »
Oops.  Sorry, I somehow mis-read your post as the Paddington ones!

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #302 on: August 25, 2019, 02:55:23 PM »
Oops.  Sorry, I somehow mis-read your post as the Paddington ones!

I am sorry to disappoint you.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #303 on: August 29, 2019, 10:04:50 AM »
The Royal Mint will this year issue yet another Gruffalo 50p coin.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #304 on: August 29, 2019, 10:22:35 AM »
Yes, Change Checker’s graphic says “Rumour has it that the Gruffalo has been spotted in the deep dark wood...” which might give a clue as to its design.  With Paddington and Gruffalo nonsense taking up the Royal Mint’s time, I’m thankful they saw sense and stopped the Beatrix Potter series.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #305 on: August 29, 2019, 10:32:26 AM »
The news about a second Gruffalo 50p came completely unexpected. The decision to issue a second coin seems to have been taken suddenly and very recently.

Offline redlock

« Reply #306 on: August 29, 2019, 07:34:40 PM »
The news about a second Gruffalo 50p came completely unexpected. The decision to issue a second coin seems to have been taken suddenly and very recently.

This, together with the rather sudden cancellation of the Beatrix Potter series, makes one wonder what is going on behind the scenes... ???

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
UK Commemorative coins for 2019
« Reply #307 on: September 01, 2019, 09:57:05 AM »
Britain’s Royal Mint drops plans to commemorate Enid Blyton due to her ‘racist, sexist’ views

Aug 28, 2019 · 12:11 pm

The Royal Mint, a government-owned mint that produces currency coins for the United Kingdom, has dropped its plans to commemorate author Enid Blyton by issuing a coin, due to her “racist, sexist and homophobic” views, The Independent reported on Tuesday. The Royal Mint had planned to engrave Blyton’s face on a 50 pence coin.

However, members of the mint said the creator of The Famous Five, Noddy and The Secret Seven was “a racist, sexist, homophobe and not a very well-regarded writer”, The Mail Online reported. The coin would have been released in November 2019 to commemorate the author’s 50th death anniversary.

“The point of the advisory committee is to ensure that themes commemorated on UK coins are varied, inclusive and represent the most significant events in our history,” a spokesperson for the Royal Mint said. “For these reasons not every event will progress to a UK coin.”

British television presenter Richard Madeley lashed out at the Royal Mint. “It seems to me that if you were to draw a line in the year say 1955 and go backwards from there you could pretty much pick up anybody based on our modern values,” he said. “There are social lines that have changed and you can’t judge people by the standards of today, so actually I think personally to call Enid Blyton homophobic is ridiculous.”

Source: Scroll
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #308 on: September 01, 2019, 09:58:42 AM »
This, together with the rather sudden cancellation of the Beatrix Potter series, makes one wonder what is going on behind the scenes... ???

For a moment, I read that as "Harry Potter" series and was in shock! ;) If Royal Mint ever comes up with Harry Potter themed coins - I will be the first person to buy them!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #309 on: September 01, 2019, 12:58:12 PM »
Britain’s Royal Mint drops plans to commemorate Enid Blyton due to her ‘racist, sexist’ views

Aug 28, 2019 · 12:11 pm

The Royal Mint, a government-owned mint that produces currency coins for the United Kingdom, has dropped its plans to commemorate author Enid Blyton by issuing a coin, due to her “racist, sexist and homophobic” views, The Independent reported on Tuesday. The Royal Mint had planned to engrave Blyton’s face on a 50 pence coin.

However, members of the mint said the creator of The Famous Five, Noddy and The Secret Seven was “a racist, sexist, homophobe and not a very well-regarded writer”, The Mail Online reported. The coin would have been released in November 2019 to commemorate the author’s 50th death anniversary.

“The point of the advisory committee is to ensure that themes commemorated on UK coins are varied, inclusive and represent the most significant events in our history,” a spokesperson for the Royal Mint said. “For these reasons not every event will progress to a UK coin.”

British television presenter Richard Madeley lashed out at the Royal Mint. “It seems to me that if you were to draw a line in the year say 1955 and go backwards from there you could pretty much pick up anybody based on our modern values,” he said. “There are social lines that have changed and you can’t judge people by the standards of today, so actually I think personally to call Enid Blyton homophobic is ridiculous.”

Source: Scroll

Wait until they find out about Churchill.....

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #310 on: September 01, 2019, 01:32:35 PM »

Madeley has a good point, but misses the point. As a youngster, I was a great fan of Blyton's "Famous Five" series. However, today that sentiment is nostalgia only. Enid Blyton's contribution to culture is zero. Already, there must be a number of cohorts succeeding mine that never heard of her. The same goes for Beatrix Potter. I am convinced that, in time, the same will be said of Joanne Rowling. This trio wrote perfectly nice entertainment for different age groups, but that's where it stops. So why should there be a long coin series for their work?

I think the answer is that the Royal Mint is in the process of changing from a coin producing government institute whose primary function is social to yet another purveyor of metallic pictures whose commercial target is the get-rich-quickly crowd. The purpose of their issues is turning from commemoration to guessing what the average Briton will buy.

This is nothing new. Any National Trust shop will give you clues: pastel colours, soft edges, dreamy, nostalgic and model homey is in. Historically correct, well researched, complicated, multi-faceted, technological and modernistic is out. Potter is perfect, Blyton is a biopic risk. If she's taken down for lack of leftist values, sales will suffer. That's the bottom line, not if you can or cannot blame her for being a child of her time. Give Rowling time, Bimat. The trend is in her direction and you got a lot of time ahead of you.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #311 on: September 01, 2019, 03:34:46 PM »
Madeley has a good point, but misses the point. As a youngster, I was a great fan of Blyton's "Famous Five" series. However, today that sentiment is nostalgia only. Enid Blyton's contribution to culture is zero. Already, there must be a number of cohorts succeeding mine that never heard of her. The same goes for Beatrix Potter. I am convinced that, in time, the same will be said of Joanne Rowling. This trio wrote perfectly nice entertainment for different age groups, but that's where it stops. So why should there be a long coin series for their work?

I think the answer is that the Royal Mint is in the process of changing from a coin producing government institute whose primary function is social to yet another purveyor of metallic pictures whose commercial target is the get-rich-quickly crowd. The purpose of their issues is turning from commemoration to guessing what the average Briton will buy.

This is nothing new. Any National Trust shop will give you clues: pastel colours, soft edges, dreamy, nostalgic and model homey is in. Historically correct, well researched, complicated, multi-faceted, technological and modernistic is out. Potter is perfect, Blyton is a biopic risk. If she's taken down for lack of leftist values, sales will suffer. That's the bottom line, not if you can or cannot blame her for being a child of her time. Give Rowling time, Bimat. The trend is in her direction and you got a lot of time ahead of you.

Peter

Yes, totally agree there shouldn't really be a coin in the first place, however the reasoning to get rid of the coin is absurd really.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #312 on: September 02, 2019, 03:53:40 PM »
Jilly Cooper says Enid Blyton deserves commemorative coin after it emerged move blocked over 'racism and sexism'

ByJanet HughesSenior Digital Reporter
09:20, 2 SEP 2019

Gloucestershire author has Jilly Cooper backed calls for children’s author Enid Blyton to be featured on a commemorative 50p coin.

Documents have revealed that the Royal Mint's advisory committee blocked the move in December 2016 branding the author as “racist, sexist, homophobe and not a very well-regarded writer”.

But supporters argued she should not be judged against modern day standards and deserved the honour because she turned millions of children into readers.

The Daily Mail sparked the row when it obtained documents under the Freedom of Information Act which revealed the Royal Mint  was considering producing the coin to mark the 50th anniversary of Blyton's death in 1968.

Blyton wrote more than 600 books, including series such as The Famous Five, The Secret Seven, The Naughtiest Girl, The Adventure Series, The Magic Faraway Tree, St Clare’s and Malory Towers.

Birmingham-based professor Kehinde Andrews appeared on Good Morning Britain to argue that the author isn't 'worthy' of the honour.

But Riders writer Jilly Cooper is reported in the Daily Mail as saying: “Enid Blyton was a brilliant storyteller and her books have got millions of children hooked on reading. She definitely deserves a commemorative coin.”

A spokesperson for The Royal Mint says their job is to ensure the coins represent the most significant events in our history - and not every proposal will progress to a UK coin.

Source

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #313 on: September 04, 2019, 02:35:08 PM »
A Wallace and Gromit 50p coin will be issued within the next few months.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #314 on: September 04, 2019, 06:04:03 PM »
The problem here is not the merits or otherwise of Enid Blyton, JK Rowling or for that matter Margaret Attwood and Salman Rushdie (choose whichever famous children's and adults' authors you wish). The problem is that all of these figures are too recent for anyone to be objective about their good or bad contributions to culture. People list them because they come easily to mind, rather than because they have greater intrinsic cultural value. The same is true if you ask people who the biggest villains are through history - sure, many will put the bloodthirsty dictators of the 20th century first, but how far down do you have to go before people start mentioning, say, Trump? No, I don't like him either, but I wouldn't put him on a par with some historical scumbags who never get a look in on these lists.

The BBC had the same problem when it ran a poll to find the "100 Greatest Britons". The results were hugely biased towards people whose contribution to society had been experienced in first or second hand by those voting. In other words, there were far too many 20th century figures at the expense of everyone else.

We need some distance on these issues. For cultural figures like authors, they need to be not only remembered at all but considered overwhelmingly positively three or four generations after they were active. Beatrix Potter probably slips through under those criteria: she is certainly remembered, though whether she is enough of a positive cultural icon I don't know. But a coin (singular) to commemorate her work was probably fair enough. For politicians and statesmen, the partisan nature of their work needs to have ceased to have relevance, while their wider legacy should endure.

But we should also not judge former ages by the standards of our own. It is all well and good to examine past behaviour and decide that we in our more enlightened condition would not choose to behave that way. It is quite another to base our decisions on whether to commemorate a given individual on how we see their actions in 2019 rather than how they were seen at the time.