Author Topic: UK Commemorative coins for 2019  (Read 21715 times)

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
Re: UK Commemorative coins for 2019
« Reply #210 on: March 25, 2019, 01:27:48 AM »
The 50 years of the 50p sets in BU quality will be available from March 25 00:01 AM.
I secured it.  It randomly allocated me a place in the queue at midnight, initially giving me a time of 00:27 but this reduced to 0:14 and it was relatively straightforward when I got in.  I was half-expecting it to be sold out even at that point, but not sure how limited it is.

It’s just the five coins as in the proof and silver sets, £45.

Offline Deeman

« Reply #211 on: March 25, 2019, 08:06:09 AM »
II was half-expecting it to be sold out even at that point, but not sure how limited it is.

Unlimited. There was no need to be a night owl!

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #212 on: March 25, 2019, 08:14:11 AM »
Unlimited. There was no need to be a night owl!
Yes, just checked and still available.  At least when part 2 comes out, I won’t need to do that again!

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #213 on: March 25, 2019, 08:31:56 AM »
The Westminster Collection has a better deal for people who are planning to buy these sets only to get the coins in them: https://westminstercollection.com/p-300F/50th-Anniversary-of-the-50p-CERTIFIED-BU-Coin.aspx

The coins have an unlimited mintage. They will not be released into general circulation.

Offline Big_M

« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2019, 03:11:19 PM »
Any news as to when the second proof set of 50th anniversary of 50p is going to be issued?

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #215 on: March 28, 2019, 03:14:33 PM »
Nobody knows.

Offline SandyGuyUK

« Reply #216 on: March 28, 2019, 05:11:37 PM »
There have been several mentions now of a "second" proof set of 50p coins.

Does anyone know what is intended to be included in this set?

Many thanks

Ian
Ian
UK

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #217 on: March 28, 2019, 05:26:52 PM »
There have been several mentions now of a "second" proof set of 50p coins.

Does anyone know what is intended to be included in this set?

Many thanks

Ian

It contains 2019-dated restrikes of the Battle of Britain, D-Day, Battle of Hastings and Victoria Cross (x2) 50p's.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 05:43:47 PM by eurocoin »

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #218 on: March 29, 2019, 01:44:34 PM »
Not strictly a commemorative but I didn't know where else to put it so anyway, the new Strike Your Own coin will as of April 1 be the 2019-dated Britannia 2 pounds coin.

As of April 2, visitors of the Royal Mint Experience will only be able to strike 1 coin per tour whereas that currently still is a maximum of 5 pieces per tour.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #219 on: March 30, 2019, 01:34:18 PM »

I was asked last night by a Continental European whether the Brexit commemorative coins had been minted yet. I had to admit that I did not know.

How long will we have wait for this issue? I decided to look at similar historical precedents. Astonishingly, the first florin, or 2 shillings coin, was not issued until 1849.

From Wikipedia:

The drive for decimalisation of the currency in Britain dates as far back as 1682. Although nothing was done regarding early proposals, the adoption of a decimal currency in the United States, France and other nations in the late 18th and early 19th centuries renewed the call, and commissions in 1841 and 1843 called for its adoption. In 1847, a motion was introduced in Parliament by Sir John Bowring calling for the introduction of a decimal currency and the striking of coins of one-tenth and one-hundredth of a pound. Bowring obtained surprisingly strong support for his motion, and the Russell government promised that a coin valued at one-tenth of a pound (two shillings) would be produced to test public opinion, with consideration in future to be given to the introduction of other decimal coins.

There was much discussion about what the coin should be called—centum, decade, and dime being among the suggestions—before florin was eventually settled upon, not because of the old English coin of that name, but because the Netherlands had a florin, or gulden, of about that size and value.

So, this harbinger of a foreign system also had a foreign name: the florin. Queen Victoria, who had a German husband, was very enthusiastic and asked Prime Minister Theresa May to go full steam ahead with decimalisation. Mrs May replied that she'd have to do some indicative votes first, and then eventually a meaningful vote, and probably quite a few meaningless votes along the way. By 1971 the project was ready, and the UK went proudly decimal. All the same, even in the 1980s there were still old women who complained that "they" should have waited until all the old people had died. Sometime never, then.  ::)

Going by precedent, we have only another 122 years to wait for the most beauteous Brexit commemorative. Don't worry, life spans are increasing all the time, and scientists tell us that human immortality is just around the corner. Because of the country's debts, however, the average Briton of the 22nd century will be required to work until he/she is three thousand and three years old before retiring.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #220 on: March 30, 2019, 04:03:43 PM »
Prior to coinage most occidental weights were decimal, at least, from c. 2000 BC to 500 BC.

The push to binary and sub-binary systems comes around the time of the first coins and markets, c. 500 BC.

Presumably decimal works best for bureaucratic rulers...............

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #221 on: March 30, 2019, 04:06:15 PM »
I was asked last night by a Continental European whether the Brexit commemorative coins had been minted yet. I had to admit that I did not know.

Don't really pay much attention to all that BB (Brexit brouhaha) any more. But no, the coin has not been issued yet according to hopefully reliable sources. :)

Christian

Offline hysteria8

« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2019, 09:06:30 PM »
The Westminster Collection has a better deal for people who are planning to buy these sets only to get the coins in them: https://westminstercollection.com/p-300F/50th-Anniversary-of-the-50p-CERTIFIED-BU-Coin.aspx

The coins have an unlimited mintage. They will not be released into general circulation.

Coin Hunter has the Royal Mint edition slightly cheaper than the official site at £40 with free postage: https//coinhunter.co.uk/50p/sets/50years/

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #223 on: April 01, 2019, 06:43:47 PM »
The Samuel Pepys 2 pounds coin will be released this Thursday April 4.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #224 on: April 02, 2019, 10:55:54 AM »
The Samuel Pepys 2 pounds coin will not be released into general circulation.

For quite some time I was annoyed at the mint that they weren't releasing commemorative 50p coins into circulation while there is a clear demand for 50p coins given the seemingly great amount of shield 50p's they are producing this year. The Royal Mint to my surprise replied to someone who enquired about this that whenever they receive permission from HM Treasury to produce a certain amount of coins, it is not them but rather HM Treasury that decides which reverse design is being used on the coins they are told to produce.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 11:17:25 AM by eurocoin »