News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

UK Commemorative coins for 2019

Started by eurocoin, May 30, 2018, 09:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

SYO is Strike Your Own at the Royal Mint Experience.

Alan71

Quote from: eurocoin on November 21, 2018, 11:59:55 AM
SYO is Strike Your Own at the Royal Mint Experience.
Ah yes, that's a possibility.

There's only three coins in these sets that I'd be interested in... the Britannia "New Pence", the D-Day and Kew Gardens.

These are almost certainly the first Royal Mint issues influenced by Brexit... I wonder which of the three EEC/EC/EU designs would have made it?  I speculate the rather boring starburst design from 1998 would have been here.  The ring-of-hands would have been out-of-date with only depicting nine hands (though still workable with the 1973 date) and the 1992-93 Conference table was slightly controversial as it depicted the chairs at different angles, which suggested disagreements (plus it's also out-of-date in terms of countries now in it).

A bit disappointing that the NHS coin isn't there but both Scouts and Guides are.

augsburger

There are four portraits on the normal 50p, ie, Britannia and then the Rank-Broadley has two "normal" designs, the shield jigsaw and Britannia.

That'd be my guess for the five coins.

eurocoin

From January 1, the Britannia 'New pence' 50p will be the Strike Your Own coin at the Royal Mint Experience.

Alan71

Thanks eurocoin.  I'd really like that coin but not sure I can stomach a third visit to the Experience.  Hopefully an eBay purchase will still work out the same or not much more than the petrol to Cardiff and a night at a hotel.

eurocoin

The design of the D-Day 2 pounds coin has now been leaked. It looks nice:

eurocoin

All of the other designs have now been leaked too.

eurocoin

There is more..

Deeman

Thanks for the images eurocoin.
There appears to be no meaningful reason for the Sherlock Holmes & Wedgwood coins. The designs are uninspiring. The Royal Mint decision making in opting for these topics is suspect.
However, I think they have done a good job with the D-Day anniversary, and I like the Samuel Pepys design but the hand and quill would have been better shown smaller.

Jostein

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

eurocoin

All of the images have now been replaced with better copies without the ugly marks.

<k>

Quote from: eurocoin on December 27, 2018, 09:24:43 PM
The design of the D-Day 2 pounds coin has now been leaked.

And some of the code words for D-Day were leaked. They appeared in a Telegraph crossword of 1944.

Who put secret D-Day clues in the 'Telegraph' crossword?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

eurocoin

Quote from: <k> on December 29, 2018, 12:13:35 PM
And some of the code words for D-Day were leaked. They appeared in a Telegraph crossword of 1944.

Who put secret D-Day clues in the 'Telegraph' crossword?

Very interesting. 

The Sherlock Holmes 50p was designed by Stephen Raw, the D-Day coin by Stephen Taylor, the Samuel Pepys coin by Gary Breeze and the Victoria coin by John Bergdahl.

It is unknown who designed the Wedgwood coin. Interesting how the Wedgwood logo is hidden in the design on that coin.

eurocoin

The Strike Your Own new pence 50p in its packaging. The price of them has increased to 7 pounds for one and 9 pounds each for a maximum of 2 additional ones per person per tour. If you scan the blue logo with the Zappar app you can take a picture with the coin and listen to some -boring- background information about the history of the 50p coin.

Deeman

Good to see that you can obtain up to three coins per tour, but not in favour of the additional cost. The savings you make with having no bridge toll have disappeared!