Author Topic: UK Commemorative coins for 2019  (Read 22456 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
Re: UK Commemorative coins for 2019
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2019, 09:20:40 AM »
The sets of 2019-dated reissued 50p coins were available from the Westminster Collection which sold out of its stock within 25 minutes. They will also be available from the Royal Mint at 9am GMT.

There are 2 sets available each containing the same 5 coins (Kew Gardens, Four Minute Mile, Girlguiding, Britannia and Scouting). They are available in Copper-Nickel proof (99 pounds) and silver proof (225 pounds).

The set copper-nickel proof is limited to 3,500 sets and the one in silver proof is limited to  1,969 sets.

The obverse on the copper-nickel and gold coins includes the denomination while it doesn't on the silver proof coins.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 12:43:00 PM by eurocoin »

Offline Deeman

« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2019, 12:39:07 PM »
Have a look at ebay! Blatant profiteering on the 2019-dated reissued 50p coin set.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2019, 12:54:51 PM »
Several hundred silver proof sets containing the 5 reissued 50p's are now available only if you call the Royal Mint.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2019, 03:35:41 PM »
Have a look at ebay! Blatant profiteering on the 2019-dated reissued 50p coin set.

I thought that was the whole point? I read an article

The new rare coins that will be minted in 2019 - Cambridgeshire Live
"The new rare coins that will be minted in 2019"

Rare coins 2019: The limited edition 50p, £2 and £5 coins entering circulation
"Rare coins 2019: The limited edition 50p, £2 and £5 coins entering circulation this year"

These rare coins are being released in 2019 - here's how valuable they could be
"These rare coins are being released in 2019 – here’s how valuable they could be
"

I think you can see a pattern here. Everyone's calling them "rare coins", and they're not even out yet. This is all it is now. Forget coin collecting, it's all profiteering. Even the Mint is doing R@R@ L@@K. And people fall for it all the time, they believe the hysteria.

I guess this is why they get so angry about "fake news", because they're the gullible that get taken in by it, and profiteers simply make the best of it.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2019, 04:06:23 PM »
See Reply #75. The signs are coming together. The new CEO has empowered the tribe of the fast marketing boys. The old boys are defeated. Making coins for circulation is now a secondary priority at best. The first priority is pushing out trinkets like the horrid alphabet series. Not necessarily to collectors. They are targeted at the get-rich-quickly crowd of retail investors. That's why the entertainment "newspapers" get involved. To the extent that collectors behave the same way, they will be targeted also. Otherwise, this is no longer about collectors or coin collecting or even coins.

Collectors have a single line of defence, but it is sturdy: stop buying all newly issued commemoratives above face value. Keep only what you can fish out of circulation at face and be done with the rest. Many collectors have already stopped buying proof sets and £5 pieces, so it's just another step. See how easy it is to live without the alphabet series or the Kew gardens hot air coin. Spend the money saved on older coins. Extend your collection back in time.

This also makes clear who the real victims are. Not collectors, but the get-rich-quickly crowd of retail investors. What will they do with their "rarities" nobody wants?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2019, 04:28:49 PM »
For people who still like to buy the sets, the one in Copper-Nickel proof is available here for 111 GBP and the silver proof set here for 223 GBP (both ex. postage) from reputable dealer Downies coins in Australia which is an official Royal Mint distributor.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2019, 06:31:26 PM »
I did see the issue of the sets in the top 10 most-read items in the BBC News app at around 7am.  I didn’t give it much more thought until I checked around lunchtime to discover they had sold out.  I’m not too bothered, I’ve got four of the damn things from 2009 and can live without a 2019-dated one.

Must be disappointing for those who hadn’t got a 2009 one and wanted this to compensate.  Did the Mint put any limit on how many could be ordered by one account?

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2019, 06:32:41 PM »
I did see the issue of the sets in the top 10 most-read items in the BBC News app at around 7am.  I didn’t give it much more thought until I checked around lunchtime to discover they had sold out.  I’m not too bothered, I’ve got four of the damn things from 2009 and can live without a 2019-dated one.

Must be disappointing for those who hadn’t got a 2009 one and wanted this to compensate.  Did the Mint put any limit on how many could be ordered by one account?

The limit was 3 as far as I know. I was told Crown Post Offices still have to start selling them.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2019, 06:41:32 PM »
The limit was 3 as far as I know.
Thanks.  Guessing the profiteerers (if there is such a word!) were well prepared for today though and would have multiple accounts set up.

Oh well, I’ll stick with my 2009 16-coin set... if nothing else, the three EU-related designs are in it, and they’ll never be seen on new coins again!

As Peter advises, it might be time (for me at least) to say enough is enough.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2019, 07:20:41 PM »
The first premium Strike Your Own coin is the standard 2 pounds coin dated 2019 in silver proof. The coin costs 125 pounds which will come on top of the cost of the premium tour (either 60 or 95 pounds depending on what you want to see).

Offline Deeman

« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2019, 08:32:30 PM »
According to ebay profiteers (note the spelling Alan71), the 50th anniversary set is now the 2019 Kew Gardens proof set!

I agree with previous correspondents that the new CEO is taking the RM down the commercial path at a rapid rate. The Royal Mail have already taken that course to the detriment of collector’s pockets and totally spoilt the hobby.

Offline Dimi164

« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2019, 05:26:04 PM »
The limit was 3 as far as I know. I was told Crown Post Offices still have to start selling them.

Any chance you would know of any post office selling them in London Eurocoin?

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2019, 05:30:31 PM »
Any chance you would know of any post office selling them in London Eurocoin?

They haven't started selling them yet. Only Crown Post Offices sell Royal Mint products but unfortunately I don't have more specific information where they will be available in London.

Offline Dimi164

« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2019, 05:44:13 PM »
They haven't started selling them yet. Only Crown Post Offices sell Royal Mint products but unfortunately I don't have more specific information where they will be available in London.

Thank you for your reply. Just spent the afternoon going to Post offices and no one seemed to have a clue as to what I was talking about!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2019, 05:57:43 PM »
Here's what I would do (take into account that I live in France, not the UK). I'd buy some - not too many; it mustn't resemble bribery - fancy chocolates (bonbons), go to the largest of the post offices you visited at a quiet time, explain my problem to the man (or, better still, the woman) behind the appropriate window and ask him if I could leave my phone number with him so that he can warn me when the coins arrive. If he says yes, he gets the phone number and the chocolates and lots of thanks in advance. React promptly when you get the call.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.