Author Topic: UK Commemorative coins for 2019  (Read 13016 times)

Offline Deeman

Re: UK Commemorative coins for 2019
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2018, 11:12:14 AM »
The obverse legend on the 2019 set Kew Gardens will differ in that in the 2009 set which was issued on the actual anniversary date (2009 appearing on the reverse).
It will probably be 'Elizabeth II D G Reg F D 50 pence 2019', as will be the Battle of Britain and Battle of Hastings coins.
The other coins in the 2019 set having 'Elizabeth II D G Reg F D 2019' since the value appears on the reverse.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2018, 01:30:02 PM »
The other coins in the 2019 set having 'Elizabeth II D G Reg F D 2019' since the value appears on the reverse.
Minor point but it’s more likely to be the current (expanded) standard inscription of Elizabeth II Dei Gra Reg Fid Def 2019.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2018, 03:03:48 PM »
I am in the other corner. This will help type collectors. The Kew garden thingy is a very good example. It was hyped to boredom when the UK mint declared it scarce and fakes showed up. With a re-issue, at least a degree of normalcy is restored. Collectors profit, the get-rich-quickly crowd is punished. That appeals to my sense of justice. ;)

Peter

IMO, that would have helped if the coin(s) were to have the same issue date as the original issue, which is unfortunately not the case. A new date means a new variety and collectors will now go frenzy after both. ;) And if the mintage of newly minted coins is limited as Alan said, then that's even worse...

Aditya
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:09:03 PM by Bimat »
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline redlock

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2018, 08:17:09 PM »
This is bad, bad practice.

I totally agree.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2018, 11:33:10 PM »
A new date means a new variety and collectors will not go frenzy after both. ;) And if the mintage of newly minted coins is limited as Alan said, then that's even worse...

Something isn't rare until the mint says it is nowadays,  I presume these will be collector coins only (like the 40th anniversary set in 2009) so there will not be the demand for them.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2018, 07:20:23 AM »
Something isn't rare until the mint says it is nowadays,  I presume these will be collector coins only (like the 40th anniversary set in 2009) so there will not be the demand for them.

I was under impression that those will be loose unc coins, and will be technically issued for circulation. If it's going to be a BU set or any other version of it, then I'll let it go this time too...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2018, 09:14:41 AM »
I was under impression that those will be loose unc coins, and will be technically issued for circulation.
Extremely unlikely.  As the Mint is now producing commemoratives that are explicitly stated as not being issued for circulation, it’s almost a dead cert that these won’t be.  The 2009 ones weren’t.  Of the 10 coins, only the D-Day one is reaching a (fairly) significant anniversary next year of the event it commemorates (75 years).  For that reason, I’d like to see that circulate but it won’t.

Andyg has a point there... the perceived rarity of a coin is partly because of the fact it does/did circulate but in small numbers.  It’s possible but extremely unlikely to find a 2009 Kew Gardens in change, but it’s desirable precisely because it circulated.  There are a number of coins this year that aren’t being issued for circulation but as this has already been confirmed, those who want them will be buying them now in the packs.  Kew was announced long after the event when it was too late for most people, hence the mad scramble and the silly prices for any sets it appeared in.

There might be some interest in this new set because of the Kew Gardens coin (and perhaps the D-Day one) - but the likely high issue price of this might mean it’s still cheaper to find any 2009 set with it in, or even the single (genuine) coin.

Even for me, this new set is much less desirable than the 2009 one.  That set was irresistible as it had the four large-size only designs issued on the smaller coin for the first time, and all paired with the Rank-Broadley portrait.  In the case of the Ring-of-hands one, it was on frosted proof for the first time (though disappointingly altered to add visible arms).  This new set still has the D-Day coin from the large coin era, but been there, done that, and the fact that they’re now all paired with the Jody Clark portrait instead of the Rank-Broadley isn’t something to write home about.

Contradicting what I said in a previous post I know...

Offline Deeman

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2018, 10:21:52 AM »
I agree with Alan71 that the 50p anniversary coin set is a bit of a mish-mash. A more apt set would have been 5 coins comprising Britannia (1982), D-Day 50th anniversary (1994), Victoria Cross (2006), Heroic acts (2006) and Battle of Britain (2015) since 2019 is the 75th anniversary of D-Day.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2018, 03:18:17 PM »
I would like to emphasize that in contrary to what people appear to be thinking both here and on social media, there is no evidence whatsoever that the coins will not be released into circulation.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2018, 07:00:47 PM »
For the money you spend on new UK issues, you can afford very interesting pre-decimal UK coins, so many third century Romans you'll quake or a load of great fun Georgian British Commonwealth coins, to give only a few examples.

Peter

Or enough unidentified tokens to put your back out and then have fun attributing them while you're recuperating.  ;D

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2018, 09:17:18 AM »
A Royal Mint Facebook post appears to confirm that, like the 2009 50p set, the 2019 ones will be proof only:

“We are pleased to confirm that we will be releasing two special sets of 5 proof 50p coins to celebrate 50 years of the 50p. To be the first to hear more details of the official sets, please register your interest at https://www.royalmint.com/50-years-of-50p?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign= #numismatic #collection “

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2018, 09:37:12 AM »
May still be SYO too.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2018, 11:28:41 AM »
May still be SYO too.
Sorry, what’s “SYO”?

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2018, 11:37:17 AM »
Change Checker appears to confirm that the version of Britannia included in these sets will be the original “New Pence” design.  Again, it says it’s unknown if these coins will be issued for circulation, but it seems unlikely that any saying “New Pence” will be.

https://www.changechecker.org/2018/11/20/the-royal-mint-to-re-issue-the-uks-rarest-50p?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=the%20royal%20mint%20to%20re%20issue%20the%20uks%20rarest%2050p&utm_content

Offline Deeman

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2018, 11:47:00 AM »
I'm with you Alan71. No idea as to what SYO stands for!