Author Topic: UK Commemorative coins for 2019  (Read 17046 times)

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
Re: UK Commemorative coins for 2019
« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2019, 11:13:50 AM »
"it is not them but rather HM Treasury that decides which reverse design is being used on the coins they are told to produce."

I have the distinct impression that everyone just says "it's not our choice" to all these decisions.

Like when you phone up and they're like "No, you need to talk to department B" and department B says "No, you need to talk to department A"

Online eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #226 on: April 02, 2019, 01:57:03 PM »
Coin Hunter has the Royal Mint edition slightly cheaper than the official site at 40 with free postage: https//coinhunter.co.uk/50p/sets/50years/

Good but not good enough. I can get them for 38 pounds which includes postage to addresses within the UK.

Online eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2019, 04:32:29 PM »
According to a source, the Royal Mint has cancelled plans for further BP 50p coins. This would mean that the coins featuring Mr Tod the Fox, Samuel Whiskers and Tommy Brock that were planned for this year will not be issued. If true, this is an unexpected decision as the minting dies of the other coins were for example already made.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:04:36 PM by eurocoin »

Offline hysteria8

« Reply #228 on: April 02, 2019, 08:01:41 PM »
Good but not good enough. I can get them for 38 pounds which includes postage to addresses within the UK.

Anywhere cheaper for the 2019 10p set? Can get 15% off from the Mint at the moment, but still expensive.

Do you know if the Sherlock Holmes 50p will be released into circulation?

Online eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #229 on: April 02, 2019, 08:15:33 PM »
Anywhere cheaper for the 2019 10p set? Can get 15% off from the Mint at the moment, but still expensive.

Do you know if the Sherlock Holmes 50p will be released into circulation?

I do not know anyone who is currently selling the 2019 10p sets cheaper than the mint.

It is currently unknown if the Sherlock Holmes 50p will be released into circulation.

Offline redlock

« Reply #230 on: April 02, 2019, 08:20:49 PM »
According to a source, the Royal Mint has suddenly cancelled all plans for further BP 50p coins.

Did you get this news on 01-April-2019?
Don't get me wrong, I am very well aware that you have extremely reliable sources. But it could be a nice April Fools joke, couldn't it?

« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:06:12 PM by eurocoin »

Offline hysteria8

« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2019, 08:59:27 PM »
I do not know anyone who is currently selling the 2019 10p sets cheaper than the mint.

It is currently unknown if the Sherlock Holmes 50p will be released into circulation.

Ok thanks.

Online eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #232 on: April 02, 2019, 09:06:28 PM »
Did you get this news on 01-April-2019?
Don't get me wrong, I am very well aware that you have extremely reliable sources. But it could be a nice April Fools joke, couldn't it?

I have thought about that but no, I only received the information today. It is of course only 1 person claiming this so maybe he/she is incorrect, which may be the case. For the release of further Beatrix Potter 50p coins royal approval is needed which hasn't been granted yet so who knows..

Offline redlock

« Reply #233 on: April 03, 2019, 08:32:55 PM »
I have thought about that but no, I only received the information today. It is of course only 1 person claiming this so maybe he/she is incorrect, which may be the case. For the release of further Beatrix Potter 50p coins royal approval is needed which hasn't been granted yet so who knows..

Thanks for the update.
Keep us posted.

Online eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #234 on: April 08, 2019, 05:46:57 PM »
The Royal Mint has sent a survey out to a certain group of clients in regard of the Innovation in Science 50p series. People are asked to choose one or more of the following persons that they would like to see featured on a coin: Ada Lovelace, Alexander Flemming, Alexander Graham Bell, Alan Turing, Charles Babbage, Dorothy Hodgkin, Michael Faraday and Rosalind Franklin.

It was already rumoured earlier that the Royal Mint had already decided that Charles Babbage will in fact be featured on one of the coins.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:17:56 PM by eurocoin »

Online eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #235 on: April 10, 2019, 11:36:21 AM »
The D-Day 2 pounds coin will be released in BU pack on May 7. It will not be released into general circulation.

Online eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #236 on: April 11, 2019, 02:49:14 PM »
The Royal Mint is going to issue 2 commemorative 50p coins featuring Paddington Bear. The coins will depict Paddington Bear outside the White Tower at the Tower of London and Paddington Bear outside St Paul's Cathedral.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #237 on: April 11, 2019, 03:37:20 PM »
Surely Rupert Bear must be next. The Winnie the Pooh. Then Biffo the Bear. Sooty and Soo. Bungle. The Three Bears. And so on.

Could somebody do a list of standard 50 pence circulation coins that feature a fictional non-human? I've lost count of the Beatrix Potter ones. And now there's Paddington and the Gruffalo too.

Online eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #238 on: April 11, 2019, 03:51:37 PM »
Surely Rupert Bear must be next. The Winnie the Pooh. Then Biffo the Bear. Sooty and Soo. Bungle. The Three Bears. And so on.

Rupert Bear is planned for next year as it is then 100 years since it was first published.

Could somebody do a list of standard 50 pence circulation coins that feature a fictional non-human? I've lost count of the Beatrix Potter ones. And now there's Paddington and the Gruffalo too.

2016:

Beatrix Potter - Peter Rabbit
Beatrix Potter - Jemima Puddle-Duck
Beatrix Potter - Squirrel Nutkin
Beatrix Potter - Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle

2017:

Beatrix Potter - Benjamin Bunny
Beatrix Potter - Mr Jeremy Fisher
Beatrix Potter - Tom Kitten

2018:

Beatrix Potter - Tailor of Gloucester
Beatrix Potter - Flopsy Bunny
Beatrix Potter - Mrs Tittlemouse

Paddington Bear - Buckingham Palace
Paddington Bear - Paddington Station

James and the Snowman

2019:

Paddington Bear - White Tower at the Tower of London
Paddington Bear - St Paul's Cathedral

Gruffalo

The Snowman and the snow dog

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #239 on: April 11, 2019, 04:36:50 PM »
Thank you! So there are fully five different Peter Rabbit coins.  :o

And Rupert Bear next year. He's my favourite. Every day he would have an adventure and sometimes travel right across the world, but he'd always be home in time for tea. What a hero! He'd make an ideal prime minister. He's just the sort of person we need to sort out Brexit.  8)

Mind you, I preferred Alfred Bestall's treatment of Rupert - not that of Mary Tourtel.