Author Topic: UK Commemorative coins for 2019  (Read 21718 times)

Offline Deeman

Re: UK Commemorative coins for 2019
« Reply #195 on: March 16, 2019, 02:56:16 PM »
The new Peter Rabbit design completes the head & shoulder depiction on the 2016 issue.
Taken from an illustration in ‘The Tale of Benjamin Bunny’ where Peter & Benjamin are in the onion bed in Mr. McGregor's garden.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #196 on: March 16, 2019, 08:27:35 PM »
From May 1, Change Checker and the Westminster Collection are going to increase the price of the BU 50p coins in the blue cards from 3.99 to 4.50 pounds. The price of the 2 pounds and 5 pounds coins in the blue cards will stay the same.
I got an email about that.  With the £2.99 postage it’s only a bargain if you order several at once.  However, my main reason is because I like the simple card.  I don’t really want unnecessary Royal Mint packaging that takes up space.  If I want to know more about the coin, I’ll google it.  With so many issues these days, bulky Royal Mint packs would just be a complete waste of space.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #197 on: March 17, 2019, 11:57:35 AM »
The Chancellor of the Exchequer has just announced on the Andrew Marr Show that the Brexit 50p coin will not be released into general circulation. It will be in sets and packs only.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #198 on: March 17, 2019, 12:51:28 PM »
Just wondering what might happen to this coin if, as now seems likely, Brexit is delayed?  With all the political uncertainty, would the coin have actually gone into production yet?  If it has, I imagine that, should the delay be confirmed on Thursday, any produced so far might have to be melted down save for a few examples retained by the Royal Mint?

According to the Sunday Telegraph only a few undated specimens have so far been produced.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #199 on: March 18, 2019, 08:43:47 AM »
The 50 years of the 50p sets in BU quality will be available from March 25 00:01 AM.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #200 on: March 18, 2019, 08:59:23 AM »
The 50 years of the 50p sets in BU quality will be available from March 25 00:01 AM.
I got the email from the Royal Mint... this will be interesting.  Let the battle commence!  I’ll attempt to get it but I imagine the website will crash even at that time of night, and they will be sold out within minutes and then on eBay at at least double the price...

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #201 on: March 18, 2019, 10:17:56 AM »
Consider yourself lucky. Until recently, there was a similar process every month for foreigners needing a French driver's license and you couldn't pay someone else to do it or take another route, including going there in person. If you couldn't get through, your driver's license was lost and you needed to do a new exam. My experience (your experience may differ):

Familiarise yourself thoroughly with the login process. Set up the login before H hour. Send the login information (hitting the return key or clicking the "send" button) one second before H hour (use your computer's clock). If you have two devices connected to the internet, set up the other device also and send the login info a second later. Once you are logged in, calm down and take your time (within reason), but do not make a single mistake and do not use the "back" command on you browser.

Good luck,

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #202 on: March 18, 2019, 12:00:30 PM »

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #203 on: March 18, 2019, 12:09:21 PM »
The second link you refer to does mention that the pieces that were so far produced did not have a date on them. Only the Sun (of all newspapers) says they were produced with the wrong date.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #204 on: March 18, 2019, 12:53:17 PM »
Second link means that a lot of them have been made but without date. It implies that date would be put later. The date can not be put after they have been minted or can it be?

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #205 on: March 18, 2019, 01:21:12 PM »
I have no reason to believe that mass production had already started. People on the gold tours at the Royal Mint, who have access to a significant part of the Royal Mint site, have not seen production of the Brexit 50p coin.

Although I am sure there will be technical ways to get that date on the coin after it has been minted, I don't think it is efficient and cost effective to do things it like that. It does not seem very logical to me.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #206 on: March 18, 2019, 07:57:52 PM »
The articles are from The Sun and the Daily Express, neither of which is known for accurate or reliable news.  The Express doesn’t sell that many copies, so lack of money means its headlines are often about extreme weather that hasn’t even happened yet (and probably won’t happen).

The Chancellor says he doesn’t know (or at least is unsure) if coins have been struck. It appears the Treasury then said a handful had been struck as prototypes, which is what you would expect.

The Sun’s mock-up of the coin is hilarious.  Aside from the shape, it’s missing the “Dei Gra...” titles.  They appear to have no idea what the coin was meant to look like!

“Collectors who have already ordered the coin could face a long delay in getting them” - what a load of rubbish this is!  The coins haven’t been made available to pre-order!

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #207 on: March 18, 2019, 10:13:34 PM »
The design of the Peter Rabbit 50p coin as available from tomorrow. It will not be released into general circulation.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #208 on: March 22, 2019, 01:04:46 PM »
The Wedgwood 2 pounds coin are now out in individual BU and Proof, see here.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #209 on: March 23, 2019, 02:28:54 PM »
The Wedgwood 2 pounds coin will not be released into general circulation. The A-Z Alphabet 10p coins are so far the only commemoratives of 2019 that will be released into circulation. Only 81,000 pieces of each coin though.