Author Topic: UK Commemorative coins for 2019  (Read 14019 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
UK Commemorative coins for 2019
« on: May 30, 2018, 09:47:39 AM »
According to the Sun newspaper, HM Treasury is backing a proposal to issue coins for Brexit. The idea has been submitted to the Royal Mint Sub-Committee on the Selection of themes for UK coins.

This is reasonably unexpected as it is known that a few months ago the Royal Mint and Royal Mint Advisory Committee themselves still had no plans for the issuance of such coins.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:10:36 AM by eurocoin »

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
Re: UK Commemorative coins for 2019
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 12:28:39 PM »
Interesting. Seeing how divisive the whole thing has been.

What are they going to put on it? Nigel Farage smiling with a pint behind the US flag? The "$350 million will go to the NHS" poster? A middle finger next to a map of the EU? A pound sign and an arrow pointing down?

Seems like an issue coins should stay a long way away from.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 10:57:29 AM »
Hmm, a "trade" theme?

(OK, the text along the rim would have to be modified a little. ;D )

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 02:08:31 PM »
In 2019 the UK will issue amongst others the following commemorative coins:

50 Pence - Sherlock Holmes. Silhouette of Sherlock Holmes surrounded by titles of the books.

2 Pounds - Samuel Pepys - His handwriting on the last page of his book.
2 Pounds - D-day - Map depicting Normandy beaches and their names.
2 Pounds - 250th anniversary of Captain James Cook's travels.

5 Pounds - 200 years since the birth of Queen Victoria.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 02:25:17 PM by <k> »

Offline Deeman

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 09:34:01 AM »
I can understand the issue of the Pepys Ł2 coin. The detailed private diary that Pepys kept from 1 Jan 1660 until 31 May 1669 is one of the most important primary sources for the English Restoration period. Concerned about failing eyesight (that proved unfounded as he still had his eyesight at his death 34 years later) his final entry was:
“And so I betake myself to that course, which is almost as much as to see myself go into my grave: for which, and all the discomforts that will accompany my being blind, the good God prepare me!”

But I am not too clear on the rationale for Sherlock Holmes 50p coin other than its the 160th Anniversary of the birth of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, which is an unusual anniversary to celebrate.

Offline Deeman

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 12:19:20 PM »
I wonder if the 2019 Captain Cook coin design will be limited to the observation of the transit of Venus or include the charting of New Zealand which actually spanned 1769 & 1770.
In Jan 1769 Cook rounded Cape Horn, entering the Pacific phase of his outward voyage. One of the aims of the expedition was to observe the 1769 transit of Venus (the passing of Venus between Earth and Sun) from Tahiti, which they reached on 13 Apr 1769. The primary purpose of the observation was to obtain measurements that could be used to calculate more accurately the distance of Venus from the Sun, and on 3 Jun the observation went without a hitch.
Cook then charted the neighbouring islands naming them the Society Islands (now known as the Leeward Group of the Society Islands), all being protected by surrounding reefs and home to friendly inhabitants. Endeavour departed the Society Islands on 9 Aug 1769 and headed south under a second set of orders, which came in a sealed packet from the Admiralty. These instructed him to search for new lands, including the ‘Great Southern Continent.’
Failing to sight the postulated southern continent at a latitude of 40degS, Endeavour turned west and on 7 Oct 1769 reached New Zealand. Cook's cabin boy Nicholas Young was the first to sight the eastern seaboard of NZ’s North Island and the point is logged as Young Nick's Head (just north of Hawke’s Bay). The following six months were spent mapping the NZ coastlines, describing the soils, plants and animals and developing relationships with the local Maori people.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 02:15:36 PM »
The occasion for the D-day commemorative is also not too clear. Yes, it was 75 years ago, but if that's sufficient reason, why is there no commemorative for the YMCA (established in London in 1844), the first organisation ever for young men (unless you want to count classical Greek gymnasia)? Or for The Female Spectator, the first women's magazine, started in 1744?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 02:54:28 PM »
50 Pence - Sherlock Holmes. Silhouette of Sherlock Holmes surrounded by titles of the books.

A silhouette surrounded by a lot of text. Likely designed by Matthew Dent.  :(

Offline Deeman

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 03:21:11 PM »
"Silhouette of Sherlock Holmes surrounded by titles of the books."

There were only 4 Sherlock novels. The rest being short stories (56 in total).
A Study in Scarlet,
The Sign of Four,
The Hound of the Baskervilles,
The Valley of Fear.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 05:47:06 PM »
In 2019, the Royal Mint will issue a commemorative 2 pounds coin for the 260th anniversary of the company Wedgwood. The coin will depict a vase.

Furthermore a series of 5 pounds coin will be issued for the Tower of London. The coins will depict respectively a Yeoman Warder, the Crown of Mary of Modena, Raven, and Queen Elizabeth's keys and a lamp. All of the coins will also depict a piece of a plan of Mint Street.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:26:48 PM by eurocoin »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 06:30:51 PM »
Interesting family, the Wedgwoods. Charles Darwin married his cousin, Emma Wedgwood, who was the granddaughter of Josiah Wedgwood. Anthony Wedgwood Benn, the late left-wing politician, better known as Tony Benn, was distantly related to the family.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 07:47:13 PM »
260th anniversary?  Some barrel-scraping there.  Presumably it wasn’t considered worthy enough to mark the 250th, but ten years on and anything goes, so to hell with the fact that 260 years isn’t really a significant number.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 11:03:06 PM »
At long last our prayers have been heard. I have just received word that there will be no 2019-dated Beatrix Potter 50p coins.

The Royal Mint late last week refused to comment but one of the companies involved in the project this evening informed me it is finally over.

Offline quaziright

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 11:12:31 PM »
At long last our prayers have been heard. I have just received word that there will be no 2019-dated Beatrix Potter 50p coins.

The Royal Mint late last week refused to comment but one of the companies involved in the project this evening informed me it is finally over.

Good riddance to bad rubbish :)

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 08:14:10 AM »
It’s good news but I’m sure there will be some other rubbish to replace it next year.