Author Topic: Carrying coins on domestic flights in India  (Read 349 times)

Offline shareddreams

Carrying coins on domestic flights in India
« on: May 29, 2018, 06:37:47 PM »
Hi Everyone,
It appears that I may have to relocate to another city in a few months. What would be the safest way to transfer my coin collection? It would be around 5-6 kilos of mostly copper, billon and silver (no gold) ancient and medieval coins. I was going through the forum posts here and some seem to suggest that trains are the best option because of weight but I don't want to take a train. Will it be possible to carry them by hand luggage on a domestic flight? Will I get in trouble at security check? I am told there shouldn't be a problem as long as I am traveling within India but it's still a lot of metal. Most of  the coins are neatly placed in albums accompanied by printouts and photocopies from books so I hope I can give the impression that I am a serious collector and the coins are not stolen. The other option would be to pack them with the rest of my stuff with the movers and packers but I don't know how safe that would be because there isn't really much that I need to be transferred and the coins are likely to stand out. Thanks.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Carrying coins on domestic flights in India
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 05:39:32 PM »
Obviously, I am not Indian, so you should read this as advice only.

I think your best bet is to call or visit the largest coin dealer you know. These people travel to coin shows all over the country and carry the inventory they want to sell at the coin show. They should have experience on what to expect on a domestic flight.

Normally, there should only be a security check for a domestic flight. The security people don't care about what you have in your luggage, as long as it can't be used to hijack or destroy an aircraft. It is not their job to collect taxes. Things may be different locally, though. However, your biggest worry should be not the security check but theft at the airport, both while you are waiting and bored and when you have arrived and are tired.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 07:20:06 AM »
Carrying coins in hand luggage is not a problem but, the maximum 7 Kg regulation for hand baggage will come in the way.

Amit

PS: The CISF guys at most airports are quite interested to have a look at the old coins. I normally pull out the coins I carry (never more than a handful) and put it along with (actually under) the laptop so they do not need to get suspicious.
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline shareddreams

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 07:05:56 AM »
I finally made this trip and carried about four kilos of coins in albums in my hand baggage. It went more smoothly than I expected. Of course, I was stopped at security check and the security people wanted to see what's in my bag. I told them I'm a coin collector and they let me go. They did note down my boarding pass details, which they said is just a formality. For some reason, they also asked a seemingly unrelated question as to whether I was carrying any lighters or matchboxes. I am told they are good at psychological profiling so maybe that was just a trick question.