Author Topic: 1885 Trade Dollar  (Read 117 times)

Offline Dennis

1885 Trade Dollar
« on: May 27, 2018, 05:25:01 AM »
Hi guys,
Not sure if this is the most appropriate forum for this or not but...

I'm on vacation and at my brother house and he is a big flea market picker. He showed me a couple coins he got from a guy who "didn't know what he had, my brother doesn't really know either, and looking through my books I'm not sure I even know about this so I came here to let you guys tell us if we got anything or not. My red book doesn't a price for this coin, just that the mintage was 2,000,000. What do you guys think? Is it real? Is it valuable?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am0C6KvA_BxKgeAeGt5tDnStf1h14A

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am0C6KvA_BxKgeAfYMNhOStMbpJUwg
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 09:56:27 AM by Figleaf »

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
Re: 1885 Trade Dollar
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 05:27:53 AM »
Unfortunately I can not see the images.

Offline Dennis

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 05:32:32 AM »
I'm not sure what's going on. I kept resizing them until they were under 128kb each. but they aren't showing up? I got links to them on my Microsoft Onedrive site. They show up fine on another coin forum. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 05:56:16 AM »
I have edited your post to 'insert Hyperlink' instead of 'insert image' as I don't have access to your PC.

The coin looks to be spurious and of little value.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Dennis

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 06:34:13 AM »
Yeah some guys on another forum pointed out that there is no such thing as an 1885-S Trade dollar, and as for the non-S version, there are only 5 known to exist. The one I have is being sold for about $7, and since my brother paid $3 for it, I guess he made a profit, though he gave it to me.  ;D

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 10:08:22 AM »
Not sure why it wouldn't work for you. I took the opportunity to correct the colour so that it looks more realistic at least on my screen ;)

Unlikely to be genuine, but a nice filler for $3. Their "normal" price is around $10. In the spirit of "give a man a fish and he can eat for a day, teach him how to fish and he can eat for the rest of his life", here's a small tutorial on discovering fakes that you can practice with this coin.

1. Weigh the coin. If it is significantly heavier than the official weight, it is a fake. If it is lighter, look at the wear. EF or better coins should be close to official weight.
2. Measure diameter. If it's significantly wrong, the coin is a fake.
3. Compare with a known genuine coin. Look in particular at the alignment of the characters around with each other and with the central design and the thickness of the letters. Badly aligned date figures don't mean much, except when you suspect that the date has been altered.
4. Look at the fields. If they are pockmarked, that may mean the coin was cast. Do a "ping" test.
5. Look at the edge. Remnants of a seam and irregularities not caused by wear mean the coin is a fake.
6. If it is a silver or gold coin, take it to a friendly jeweller and ask if it is good gold or silver.
7. Still not sure? Ask WoC :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.