Author Topic: Large Mongol dirham of Samarqand, time of Ögedei  (Read 183 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Large Mongol dirham of Samarqand, time of Ögedei
« on: May 19, 2018, 01:24:13 PM »
Here's another large AE dirham of Samarqand, this time a bit earlier, around 1233 AD. There are several of these on Zeno with some little varieties. I don't have access to the Russian article of Davidovich 1972 (see comments on Zeno 10761, the silver piece) but soon I hope to be able to check it in the more recent book by Nyamaa.

AE broad dirham, time of Ögedei, Samarqand, c. 630 AH = 1233 Ad. Obv. S-tamgha of Ögedei (rather vague) over 3 lines of text and a guirlande in a circle with text outside. Rev. Strange Arabic angular letters in a double circle with text outside. 35 mm, 5.42 gr.

-- Paul

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Large Mongol dirham of Samarqand, time of Ögedei
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 02:34:18 PM »
Congratulations! A piece of history. Ögedei was a builder. As brutal as Ghengis, his father, but by far not as thoughtless. Not crude like his father, nor arrogant like his brother Chagatai but cultured, smart and modest. Samarqand liked him for re-opening the silk road and extending it to the Black Sea.

It is not clear if he died from alcoholism (possibly a method of dealing with pain from war wounds) or a heart disease, but in both cases, he saw his death coming. Therefore, I suspect his involvement in the sudden and most timely death of Chagatai, shortly after his own, which surely prevented a Mongol civil war. He could not have foreseen that this would lead to the beneficial regency of the princesses Töregene and Sorghaghtani and, ultimately, the succession of the Toluids, but he would have been happy with that outcome.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 12:12:06 PM »
Thanks, Figleaf, for this piece of history behind the barbarous beauty of this coin, after the destroyal of a long period of refining coin culture under the Samanids, Qarakhanids and Ghaznavids controlling Samarqand.

An islamic coin, despite Ögedei not being a muslim himself. But on which part of the coin one can find the mint and date?
-- Paul

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 12:58:16 PM »
Great thanks to @Toofast, I now have access to the book of Davidovich. It is Type 5 (p. 17), shown at Picture Table 2 as Nr. 3.
Here it is. The text underneath says 'Copper Silverwashed Dirhams'.

-- Paul

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 01:32:05 PM »
Intersting type !
Samarqand سمرقند will be located in your left picture in the first line under the tamgha.
If i am not mistaken this is the type where the centre text on obverse plus reverse say something like "For Samarqand and surrounding area. Anyone who does not accept this is a criminal".
I was referrring to this type in this previous thread.

Anthony