Author Topic: Dutch token made in the UK  (Read 153 times)

Online Henk

Dutch token made in the UK
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:05:45 PM »
I am looking for information about a token manufacturer, probably from the UK who made a drinks token for the restaurant of H. Muller in Glanerbrug (this is a small village in the Netherlands, now part of the city of Enschede, located next to the border with Germany).

The description of the token is as follows:
25 mm Brass with central hole
O: GOED VOOR / CONSUMPTIE / GLANERBRUG / H.MULLER
R: WORKS & STORES * T&Hs GLOBE

I attach a picture taken from the Kooy Catalog. I think the token dates from the periond 1945 - 1960.

I could not find any information about T&H's GLOBE. Is this a know token producer, are any other tokens knowd. Where was this firm located and when was it active. Information will be appreciated.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Dutch token made in the UK
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 09:43:00 PM »
The manufacturers name sounds very international or UK based.
However, have you considered "Tattersall & Holdsworth's globe works and stores", or "de Globe Machinefabrieken en Magazijnen". Which was actually a factory of machine parts located in Enschede ?

Anthony

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 10:55:14 PM »
There is a compilation of short videos on Glanerbrug on Vimeo: https://whatever.com/110126245 (replace whatever with vimeo in the address to view)

I didn't spot any sign with a key word on the token, but may have missed something. The only industry shown is a shirt factory, Discus Enschede (from around minute 10 to 12).

Police uniforms are mostly post-war, but there is also an earlier uniform (possibly a border policeman), so the fragments could be around 1930-1950. The token is brass, which was plentiful around 1950 (spent shell casings).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 12:59:57 AM »
Apparently they were Englishmen one of whom moved to the Netherlands:

Around 1874 John Tattersall decided to settle in the Netherlands and bought a house on the Hengelosestraat in Enschede. Shortly thereafter, in 1876, John Tattersall and his half-brother Richard Holdsworth (alderman of Burnley), who had continued to work and live in England, founded Tattersall & Holdsworth NV, in short THE. Also the names Globe Works and Globe Works Warehouses were connected to this company.

The machine factory Tattersall & Holdsworth NV was located at the Oldenzaalsestraat in Enschede. The warehouses were located in Gronau (Germany) and Rotterdam . In addition to the fabrication of textile machines, various machines were also manufactured here for, among other things, the shipping, oil and gas industry. There was also a tool factory in the factory. When the factory closed its doors in 1972, the instrument maker was taken over by the firm Vonk from Coevorden. After the demolition of the factory in the late 1970s, a residential area was built, named after the factory "Tattersall".
Wikipedia

The factory looks to have the capability to strike tokens as they would have a machine for making their labels.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Online Henk

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 07:54:32 PM »
Thanks for the interesting information, very usefull. Good material for further researching my token!