Author Topic: Identify this 25mm copper countermarked  (Read 215 times)

Offline jsalgado

Identify this 25mm copper countermarked
« on: May 14, 2018, 11:13:38 PM »
The piece has 3 countermak , metal copper size 25 mm and  weight 2,33 g ; I read CAVA / LIERO  or CAVA / LLERO and the countermark  - 3 it seems a building or shield. Many thanks for your help.

countermark - 1

countermark - 2

countermak - 3

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Identify this 25mm copper countermarked
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 07:25:24 AM »
The flan looks like it was cut out of thin plate with heavy scissors. CAVA/LIERO  or CAVA/LLERO could well be a family or company name. The large mark at first looked to me like a ship on waves, a Christian symbol, but the detail picture made clear that the "waves" are connected with a thin bar on one side. At present, I take it for a UE monogram, widely accepted as standing for Unión Europea in Spain. Note that the E is inspired by the euro sign. The building is a heraldic castle. This particular shape is used since the times of Charles V to symbolise Castilla in the Spanish arms. This punch is an indication that your piece was made in Spain, so that the name would more likely be CAVALLERO.

The marks were applied by three separate punches, the Castilla punch being used twice, with only a rudimentary alignment. I would speculate that the punches were tested on the plate e.g. to judge the strength that had to be applied. At 25 mm and 2,33 gr, the flan must be quite thin. The punches were therefore likely to be used on metal of similar thickness. Since there is no number on any of the punches, they are unlikely to have any official use or function. They are more likely to have been intended to mark light industrial products, including artsy tourist souvenirs, small furniture and (garden?) decoration made by a company called CAVALLERO.

If my reading of UE is correct and since it is the largest punch, but also in view of the "official" look of the castle, the punches are quite modern and were intended to suggest official approval to unwary buyers, meaning that the punches may (also?) have been intended for other metals than copper, though they are too large to suggest silver test marks. Again, tourists come to mind.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.