News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Discussion: Rumours of 20 Rupees coin

Started by Pabitra, May 11, 2018, 02:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pabitra

Rumoured, made by well known numismatic reporter, Sudhir Lunawat.

Bimat

Interesting indeed. There were also some rumors that ₹10 bimetallic coins were to become monometallic. What happened to that?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Pabitra

Patterns not yet accorded final approval

Bimat

Are these patterns genuine? ;D ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Pabitra

PCGS is considered an authentic certifying agency, in my opinion.

Figleaf

Certifying agencies make mistakes, especially when the coin is not from North America.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

My point was that in India, you can get a pattern coin struck 'on order'. There have been several such instances in the past...

Aditya

Figleaf

I vaguely remember such an Indian fantasy piece with a rocket that was accepted as genuine by a TPG.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Quote from: Figleaf on May 12, 2018, 04:10:59 PM
I vaguely remember such an Indian fantasy piece with a rocket that was accepted as genuine by a TPG.

That's indeed correct. Not only patterns, you can also get errors, off-strikes etc. struck on order. One particular mint is 'famous' for such malpractices.

Aditya

Pabitra

Quote from: Bimat on May 12, 2018, 03:46:08 PM
My point was that in India, you can get a pattern coin struck 'on order'. There have been several such instances in the past...

Aditya

That is usually attributed  to one of the four mints, not for patterns but for alignment and other type of errors.
There is a big market for errors and mules, a morbid passion among coin collectors which I fail to understand.
Getting a die made and then getting a coin struck, requires corruption at much higher level than that.
I have not seen that so far.

Pabitra

Quote from: Figleaf on May 12, 2018, 04:10:59 PM

Peter
According an authority on Republic of India coins, that was a genuine pattern indeed.
After 2003, Mint was asked to design some new coins, including a proposed 10 Rupees bimetallic coun.
The Prithvi missile, which was then successfully tested, was a live topic and designer proposed that.
It was rejected with a request to select a civilian object and a new pattern with PSLV ( Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle ) was also made.
Meanwhile, it was proposed to redesign the whole circulation series, work for which was awarded to Professor AK Sinha of National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad.

That is another story and not related to this thread.

Anyway, I can upload those two designs, if so required.

quaziright

As I am interested in bimetallic and non-round shaped coins, I would like to eye this topic. However, apart from the very first post which is useful and relevant, the posts that follow are at best trivial, but certainly almost un-helpful and confusing. Can they be hived off please and this topic stay on point? 

Pabitra

Quote from: Bimat on May 12, 2018, 04:12:28 PM
That's indeed correct. Not only patterns, you can also get errors, off-strikes etc. struck on order. One particular mint is 'famous' for such malpractices.

Aditya
The pattern above is not from that mint. Kindly see the mint mark, very conspicous.

Patney

This may or may not be the offical design of Rs 20 Coin but shortly dealers will get Proof, Pattern and EXP Rs 20 Coin made from China through www.alibaba.com and selling for Lakhs and earning their livelyhood and many variations of this Rs 20 coin will be avaialble for new discussions