News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Civic copper, soldier leaning on his rifle / Abu Shahr

Started by maudry, May 10, 2018, 10:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maudry

Hi,
The obverse of this one looks similar to the ref KM#10 so I am wondering if it could be Borujerd mint  ???
Size: 16mm
Weight: 4.05gr

saro

Quote from: maudry on May 10, 2018, 10:30:57 PM
The obverse of this one looks similar to the ref KM#10 so I am wondering if it could be Borujerd mint
Yes, it's seems to be well Borujerd  :applause:  a scarce mint and an uncommon design : personnages are rare on civic coppers and your soldier bears a head-gear typical of some persian soldiers of XVIIIth c..
attached an image of an afsharid artillery officer
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

saro

Quote from: maudry on May 10, 2018, 10:30:57 PM
The obverse of this one looks similar to the ref KM#10 so I am wondering if it could be Borujerd mint  ???

Dear Maudry, I'm afraid you should have to change this coin's label :) ...despite the design, this coin is not from Borujerd as we could think but from Abu shahr (Bushire); a similar coin is in the Ashmolean museum (Oxford) with a well legible mintname / ref. HCR18642

maudry

Thank you Saro.
I tried to search for the coin with your reference but without success.
It also looks like most coins are without picture  ???

saro

maudry

Thank you Saro,
I will update the label. I'm not sure but it looks like the obverse is from different dies and the reverse could be from the same dies?