New Commemorative Issue: 2019: 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi

Started by kansal888, May 03, 2018, 03:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kansal888

Dear Pabitra ji

999 Silver should be OK for NCLTs, since unlike the circulation coins which are handled in a rough manner, NCLTs are handled by collectors with so much  love and care. Since silver is soft, Mumbai mint should be able to get good strike.

My only worry with 999 silver coin is it's proper packing. If the mint does not seals it properly, it will start turning black. It should be hermetically sealed.

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

Pabitra

Had 999 Silver been an acceptable practice then how come it took govt. of India 70 years to issue one such coin?

Do the mints have technology to hermetically seal the coins or get it done from lowest bidder?

Abhay

Quote from: Pabitra on October 04, 2019, 04:11:15 AM
Had 999 Silver been an acceptable practice them how come it took govt. of India 70 years to issue one such coin?

Do the mints have technology to hermetically seal the coins or get it done from lowest bidder?

Most of the countries issuing Proof Coins issue then in 999 Silver only. Examples are USA Liberty Dollar, Chinese Silver Panda, Australian Silver Kookaburra.. They come in the category of Bullion Coins, but still they carry a denomination. I have handled many such coins, and they are not all that malleable or soft, as you may think them to be.

And most of these coins already come in AIRTITE Coin holders. These holders are made of Acrylic and are easily available commercially.

Direct Fit Holders

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

betterphilately.com

Hi,

I'm not able to find a gazette notification for these coins. Does anyone know if the notification has been issued or not?

Thanks.

dheer

http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

kansal888

Quote from: Pabitra on October 04, 2019, 04:11:15 AM
Had 999 Silver been an acceptable practice then how come it took govt. of India 70 years to issue one such coin?

The reason why it took Indian mints 70 years to issue a coin in .999 silver could be to reduce the cost and to increase the hardness. Mints might have added 50% base metals to make the coins more affordable.

I am apprehensive that Mumbai mint might not be able to seal the coins hermetically. So the silver may turn black / patina in few decades.

Figleaf

Quote from: Abhay on October 04, 2019, 11:30:35 AM
they are not all that malleable or soft, as you may think them to be.

Indeed, pure silver is not like toothpaste or butter, but it is still softer than other metals. The most basic risk is falling. A copper-nickel coin falling of a desk or table on a stone floor may survive intact, but a silver coin will have a mark on the edge. The principal risk is a bad coin tray, though. A silver coin may be worn, just by sitting in a coin tray and shifting every time someone handles the coin tray.

Quote from: Abhay on October 04, 2019, 11:30:35 AM
And most of these coins already come in AIRTITE Coin holders. These holders are made of Acrylic and are easily available commercially.

While that is a perfectly good way to store and protect a silver coin, especially in a climate that knows monsoons, you should make sure the packaging has an intact rubber ring. Also, those who want packaged coins will not want to take it out of the packaging. The best solution I can think of is keeping it in a well-closing cookie tin with a moisture eater (they come in the packaging of electrical equipment) in a dry, preferably heated room and inspecting it regularly.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

kansal888

Dear Friends

This time there are three different options for buying the 999silver coins on 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi:

A) Regular Blister Pack: Can be booked from website of SPMCIL. The price is Rs 4,225 for Unc and Rs 4,585 for Proof coin.

B) India Post Pack: It has a Proof coin + One First Day Cover having six stamps x Rs 25 + One Miniature Sheet of Rs 150 + One booklet issued by Ministry of culture. The price is Rs 5,225. This can be booked at website of epostoffice.gov.in. You need to register first.

C) Wooden Box: Mumbai mint has also issued Gandhi coins in wooden boxes. I have not seen the boxes but I understand that they could be artistic with metal and laser engraving. Wooden boxes can be booked from website of  SPMCIL. Price is Rs 5,305 for Unc and Rs 5,665 for proof.

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

Figleaf

Unless chemically treated or heavily painted or lacquered, wood will be infiltrated with moisture in the monsoon season. In due time, the box would close badly or not at all. If the coin inside is entombed in plastic, it will not be affected, but if it is exposed to air, problems will develop. If it is unpackaged in the box, a layer of Ren wax would be a wise precaution.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

jnite

Hello,

could someone tell me why 2 options with different pricess for booking available on spmcil website?

Navaneeth

Quote from: jnite on October 08, 2019, 05:16:39 PM
Hello,

could someone tell me why 2 options with different pricess for booking available on spmcil website?

Please go through kansal ji's reply

Quote from: kansal888 on October 07, 2019, 07:16:35 PM
Dear Friends

This time there are three different options for buying the 999silver coins on 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi:

A) Regular Blister Pack: Can be booked from website of SPMCIL. The price is Rs 4,225 for Unc and Rs 4,585 for Proof coin.

B) India Post Pack: It has a Proof coin + One First Day Cover having six stamps x Rs 25 + One Miniature Sheet of Rs 150 + One booklet issued by Ministry of culture. The price is Rs 5,225. This can be booked at website of epostoffice.gov.in. You need to register first.

C) Wooden Box: Mumbai mint has also issued Gandhi coins in wooden boxes. I have not seen the boxes but I understand that they could be artistic with metal and laser engraving. Wooden boxes can be booked from website of  SPMCIL. Price is Rs 5,305 for Unc and Rs 5,665 for proof.

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

kansal888

The UK government has decided to issue a commemorative coin to mark the 150th birthday anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, said Britain's Chancellor of the Exchequer Sajid Javid.

The Pakistani-origin British finance minister said he had asked the UK's Royal Mint to work on the coin so that the world never forgot what Gandhi taught it.

He announced this on Thursday at the annual GG2 ceremony in London to celebrate the British Asian success.

"Tonight's awards celebrate the 150th birthday of Gandhi – a fitting time to announce that I've asked the Royal Mint of the UK to propose a new commemorative coin in his honour. We should never forget what Gandhi taught the world," said Javid.

https://www.dtnext.in/News/National/2019/10/11073153/1191448/UK-to-issue-coin-in-honour-of-Mahatma-Gandhi.vpf

kansal888

I received my Gandhi proof coin in Philatelic packing. It is the first official Numismatic + Philatelic collaboration between India Post and Mints.

dheer

http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies