Author Topic: Qajar, Nasir al-Din Shah, Date 127x AH, Silver Kran, Dar al-Sultanat Tabriz mint  (Read 263 times)

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Qajar, Nasir al-Din Shah, Date 127x AH, Silver Kran, Dar al-Sultanat Tabriz mint, KM 824a (1264-1314 AH)(1848-1896 AD)
Weight 4.79 gm
Diameter 15 mm
Obverse:"السلطان ابن السلطان ناصرالدین شاه قاجار ", al-Sultan Ibn al-Sultan Nasir al-Din Shah Qajar.
Reverse: Mint and date inside a decorated circle, ضرب دارالسلطنه تبریز "mint of Dar al-Sultanat Tabriz .
Date is not visible, could be either 1273 ۱۲۷۳ or 1274 ۱۲۷۴.
Sorry for the poor quality photos.

Maythem
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:52:25 PM by aws22 »
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Can imagine that it was difficult to photograph this small coin with not many sharp contrasts. Still, considering the strike and readablity i think it quite an accomplishment of you to have this attributed and fully transcribed !

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Many thanks Anthony, my objective is to fully identify this coin and add Qazvin as a new mint of this kind of Kran to the index.

Maythem

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
I admit that from the pictures I had a hard time seeing a few bits of the name of the shah and I do not see much of the name of the mint except the end of its epithet (dar al-sul)tanat.  :-\
Did you identify it by comparison with another examplar ? or may be it is legible with the coin in hand ?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 06:32:22 PM by saro »
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Saro for your comments, the obverse is a typical hammered Nasir al-Din shah. As for the reverse, the mint for this type of Kran, Dar al-Sultanat applies to Qazvin, Tabriz or Tehran and I was inclined to choose Qazvin.
Please feel free to suggest otherwise.

Maythem
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 06:48:00 PM by aws22 »

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Dear Saro, comparing this coin with the coin attached hereunder, a very likely mint possibility for the posted coin is " Zarb dar al-Sultanat Tabriz  ضرب دارالسلطنه تبریز ". The attached coin is half Kran coin posted on February 19, 2017
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,38107.msg241002.html#msg241002

Maythem
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:53:29 PM by aws22 »

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Very similar indeed !  :)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Saro, in the following link there is the same flower underneath letter " B ب " of the word zarb and to the left of the word "Tabriz تبریز " which shows similarity of the two coins and this confirms that Tabriz is the correct mint.
https://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=594&category=13287&lot=605679

Maythem