Author Topic: Belgium 2018: 50th anniversary of the student revolt  (Read 511 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
Belgium 2018: 50th anniversary of the student revolt
« on: April 25, 2018, 03:35:02 PM »
In 2018, Belgium will issue a 2 euro commemorative coin for the 50th anniversary of the student revolt of May 1968. A somewhat sensitive theme. The design was made by Luc Luyckx. Mintage is 260,000 pieces only available in BU and proof.

Source: Show M€ Euro Coins
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:00:41 PM by eurocoin »

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Belgium 2018: 50th anniversary of the student revolt
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 03:26:10 PM »
Are we talking about this 'event'? If yes, then what it has to do with Belgium?  :-\

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Belgium 2018: 50th anniversary of the student revolt
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 05:02:08 PM »
Not that one but this one. Google translate, as there is no English language equivalent lemma.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 04:18:17 PM »
Don't quite think so. If the coin was to commemorate the conflict in Leuven (primarily January), why would the design say "mei/mai"? In my opinion the issue refers to May '68 which was a row of events, so to say, in several European countries including Belgium.

Well, once the issue has been published in the European Union's Official Journal, we will hopefully know more about the actual background. Also, a moderator of a German language coin forum contacted Ingrid Van Herzele; we'll see whether he gets a reply and what it says.

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 07:36:36 PM »
Voilà, the coin has now been announced in the OJ. :)
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=OJ:JOC_2018_155_R_0002

"The design represents students with a pamphlet and flag in their hands and refers to student demonstrations that took place in Belgium in connection with the sociocultural changes of May 1968. It was an important national event that shaped Belgium's national politics and influenced subsequent Government reforms, now 50 years ago."

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 09:55:21 PM »
Let me put it this way. What happened in January in Leuven/Louvain, happened in Brussels in May. The difference is that in Louvain, the Walloons got thrown out and in Brussels, the Flemish got thrown out of their university. A coincidence, of course, that the government prefers to celebrate Brussels, not Leuven but hard to explain why Brussels "was an important national event that shaped Belgium's national politics and influenced subsequent Government reforms", while Louvain was just an incident, even though the naughty Wikipedia lemma I linked to ascribes the same effects to that Leuven rebellion.

In my view, both were manifestations of shameless intolerance that just did harm to the country. Showing one of the students waving a flag, symbol of national unity distorts what happened. The country got torn apart.

The fact that the French had their anti-De Gaulle thing at the same time is irrelevant, as De Gaulle did not rule Belgium.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 12:00:33 PM »
Well, Germany did not have De Gaulle either, and yet had its own "May '68". :) And if an issuing authority emphasizes that a coin commemorates the, quote, "sociocultural changes of May 1968", I find it hard to believe that it is about what happened in Leuven or Brussels. But maybe the ambiguity was intended.

As for the flag, well, what we see is an "empty" banner or flag that could be for or against anything. I have seen a different design of the €2 coin, with only one person standing (and holding some pamphlet) while the hand of somebody else holds a flag that says "Student Revolt". No idea whether that was an official design that at some point was modified, or a fantasy design ...

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 02:27:11 PM »
Well, Germany did not have De Gaulle either, and yet had its own "May '68". :)

But while there are not too many Germans whose first language is French, it is the first language of the Walloons. That ought to make the government evenhanded. Official partiality will tear up a country, whether it is the United Kingdom, Pakistan or Belgium.

And if an issuing authority emphasizes that a coin commemorates the, quote, "sociocultural changes of May 1968", I find it hard to believe that it is about what happened in Leuven or Brussels. But maybe the ambiguity was intended.

Students + May 1968 = Brussels. Students + January 1968 = Louvain. Students + 1968 =  important national events (note the plural) "that shaped Belgium's national politics and influenced subsequent Government reforms". Words matter.

As for the flag, well, what we see is an "empty" banner or flag that could be for or against anything.

True, except that flags are important symbols and symbols are easily abstracted, therefore easily interpreted, even where the intention of the designer was different. The interpretation of national flag is natural. Demonstrating students generally carry banners (two big sticks holding a torn-up bed sheet), not flags. An empty banner would never have been interpreted like a flag. A banner with the text "Student Revolt" would have been natural. Symbols matter.

Peter

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 06:09:05 PM »
As for what "event" the coin actually commemorates, well, I am sure there are and will be different opinions across Europe. :) What I also find interesting is how easy it is these days to blame the usual suspects for any changes to any €2 commem design:

Numismática Visual did that here a few days ago. The article shows the previous design, says that it got modified - the newer design, now also published in the Official Journal, is the one that eurocoin show in the initial post - but uses the following headline for the article:

"Qué no le gustó a la Comisión Europea de este boceto"

In other words, we don't really know what went on behind the scenes, but let's blame the European Commission as that will almost always work. Sigh.

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 08:06:27 PM »

To the left the design can be seen that Belgium first sent in for approval. They later withdrew the design and submitted a new one that can be seen to the right. Royal Mint of Belgium earlier today told me that their design was not refused nor did any of the other member states veto it. They withdrew it because they thought it more appropriate to depict the theme in a more general way.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:07:18 PM by Figleaf »

Offline quaziright

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 09:32:04 PM »
I like the first design better

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 12:30:08 AM »
The site where you can order the pieces now is apparently not terribly familiar with European law. ;) Not that I am a legal expert, but when you want to buy a coin at https://www.herdenkingsmunten.be/ , they will tell you that they deliver to customers in Belgium and the Netherlands only:
De verzend- en administratiekosten per online bestelling zijn:
In België en Nederland: € 4,95
Verzendingen buiten België en Nederland zijn helaas niet mogelijk.

https://www.herdenkingsmunten.be/veelgestelde-vragen/nl/page/2724/

And from what I have read in a German forum, they even try to charge more from customers who do not use iDEAL for the payment: Visa or Mastercard 1.1% surcharge for example. Not legal in my opinion, but I guess they don't care as long as they get the "Go away" message across ...

Christian

Offline Big_M

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 05:15:44 PM »
The site is fully operated by KNM, one can even use the login of KNM webshop.

Interesting that for Belgian customers there is no option to pay “for free” with even the Bancontact payment being charged at 75 eurocents per transaction.

Strange business choices indeed.