Author Topic: Nazi Germany - Federal Republic - coinage similarities  (Read 493 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Nazi Germany - Federal Republic - coinage similarities
« on: April 24, 2018, 07:48:26 PM »
chrisild's topic The Ear and the Gear shows how a Nazi coin design became a Communist coin design. I was looking at some of the numerals on the Nazi and Federal Republic coins and noticed some similarities, particularly with regard to the figure "5", which is narrow at the top but broader at the bottom. Did any of the same artists design the two sets of coins?

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Nazi Germany - Federal Republic - coinage similarities
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 08:25:58 PM »
Seems to me that this is one of those cases where you see similarities where you want to see them. ;)  The four pieces from Nazi Germany were designed by Franz Krischker. The four from the Federal Republic were designed by Adolf Jäger.

The idea to "stretch" the 5 that way makes some sense to me as the digits are the primary design elements on that side. Jäger knew Krischker's coins of course, and maybe liked the shape of the 5. His 0 is quite different though as you will have noticed - here you could add Richard Werner's design of the 50 Pf coin first issued in 1949.

The only digit that I do not like very much is the 2. Interestingly, that denomination was not part of the occupation/Bank Deutscher Länder series but was introduced in 1950 - and that digit was designed by somebody else. Jäger himself was not fond of it. ;)

Christian

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 08:44:31 PM »
Seems to me that this is one of those cases where you see similarities where you want to see them.

Now why would I want to see them? If you look at the size of the numerals and their positioning on the coin, there is a lot of similarity. If you have ever seen my topic about text and fonts on coins, you will know that there are all sorts of ways of making them look different. so, I plead not guilty to your charge.

The four pieces from Nazi Germany were designed by Franz Krischker. The four from the Federal Republic were designed by Adolf Jäger.

Thank you. So that disproves my theory. It is of course possible that Jäger was influenced by the earlier designs, in of course a completely apolitical way.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 12:06:11 AM »
Had you pointed at the similar "0" styles (of the 50 Rpf/Pf coins), I would have agreed. While I basically like the design with the young woman planting a tree, Werner's "0" I have always found to be a little too Fraktur-ish.

(Image from Wikipedia)

The round shapes of the "0" on the 10 Pfennig coin, however, and the shape of the "5" on the 5 Pf piece are somewhat different from their pendants on the nazi coins. Sure, the lower part of the "5" is quite wide, but if you compare the "line widths" for example ...

Not that I know much about the background (here is Adolf Jäger working on the 1 Pfennig plaster model by the way), but if the digit/s indicating the value need to fill such a considerable part of the design, they may end up a little "fat". If you look at the Austrian 50 Groschen coin (1959), you will see a similar effect, even though the horizontal line at the top is longer ...

Christian

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 09:43:45 AM »
So you've added a similarity. Result: 1 - 1.  A draw!  :)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 11:06:12 AM »
Here we have more Fat Fives which are not that wide at the top. :) The first one is a Dutch stuiver (5 cent coin) which was first issued with or by Wilhelmina in 1948. The other one, possibly inspired by the Dutch piece, is from the Netherlands Antilles, first issued in 1971.

(Netherlands) https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces663.html
(Neth. Antilles) https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2935.html

Different from both the Nazi Germany and the Federal Republic designs, and yet a little similar ...

Christian