Author Topic: Monaco 2018: François Joseph Bosio  (Read 540 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
Monaco 2018: François Joseph Bosio
« on: April 20, 2018, 08:42:11 PM »
Monaco will this year issue a 2 euro commemorative coin for the 250th anniversary of the birth of François Joseph Bosio. He was a sculptor who worked a lot in France although he was born in Monaco.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 05:08:42 PM »
Has the design been finalized and published? Asking this because some eBay sellers are having pre-sale with image of the coin...

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
Re: Monaco 2018: François Joseph Bosio
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 06:22:08 PM »
Has the design been finalized and published? Asking this because some eBay sellers are having pre-sale with image of the coin...

Aditya

No it hasn't, the designs on eBay are fake.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 03:27:14 PM »
No it hasn't, the designs on eBay are fake.

Thanks for the confirmation. The image being shown by sellers (different sellers with same image) is so horribly bad that it makes the uninteresting expensive coin even more uninteresting. ;D

Aditya

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 04:40:17 PM »
While we do not know the design yet, the coin will feature Bosio's sculpture of the nymph Salmacis. That would be this one:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Louvre_-_La_nymphe_Salmacis.jpg But from what the Numismatic Office has published (somewhere in this mess I should have a link, ahem), this will be a proof-only issue.

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 04:07:16 PM »
Ah, link wise here we go. Two press releases from the government of Monaco:

"To mark this anniversary and raise awareness of François-Joseph Bosio and his work, several events are scheduled for 2018: (...) the striking of a commemorative 2-euro coin, in Fine Proof quality, representing Bosio and one of his most famous works, The Nymph Salmacis (...)" (12 April)

"H.S.H. the Sovereign Prince then went on to the Bosio Pavilion, where the following were presented to Him: (...) the commemorative stamp and coin created by the Monaco Stamp Issuing Office; (...)" (20 April)

(Emphasis by me.) That suggests the design is already known. ;) Have not seen it though.

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 02:23:19 PM »
The coin can be purchased from the MTM (Numismatic Office) on Monday, 15.00 h CEST. :)

- - - - -
Thursday, 21 June 2018
Musée des Timbres et des Monnaies, Monaco
https://www.mtm-monaco.mc

LUNDI 25 JUIN 2018 à 15 heures –
Mise en vente d'une pièce commémorative 2018 de 2 € de qualité "Belle Epreuve", en l'honneur du 250e anniversaire de la naissance du grand sculpteur monégasque François-Joseph Bosio (1768-1845). La quantité de frappe, limitée, restreint l'achat à un seul coffret par personne inscrite. Nous vous invitons à bien vérifier l'exactitude de vos données personnelles, et à les modifier immédiatement si incorrectes. En cas de tentative de fraude quant à l'unicité de la commande, le Musée des Timbres et des Monnaies se réserve le droit de ne pas honorer la commande. Vente exclusive sur le site internet du Musée, pas de vente au guichet.

A beautiful 2€ proof coin will soon be available for sale, commemorating the great monegasque sculptor François-Joseph Bosio (1768-1845). The limited issue allows only one purchase per person registered. Please check that your information is correct, and change as soon as possible if necessary. After the sale it will be too late to proceed to any change. The commemorative coin will be available Monday 25 June 2018 at 3 pm, on the website exclusively.
- - - - -

As you see, the French and English versions of the announcement are a little different - the former emphasizes fraud prevention, the latter focuses on beauty. ;) The attached image is from the website. Proof only, price not communicated yet ...

(Edit) ... but expect a three digit price tag. And shipping will not be cheap either; somewhere I read that coin plus s/h could be roughly 150 euro. We'll see.

Christian
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 07:30:08 PM by chrisild »

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 08:29:44 AM »
The eBay sellers got their design terribly wrong. ;D

I expect the issue price to be around €150 (all inclusive)...

Aditya

Offline Jostein

• WBCN
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 04:06:07 PM »
120€+35€=155€, the same as last year...I just bought mine, let see if all is going well without any issues.

;)
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.worldbcnews.com

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 08:44:46 PM »
The thread about this very coin currently has about 300 messages in a German forum. Crazy "collectors" or resellers. ;) Had I had the time, I might have logged in and waited in the long line - after all, even if one is not actually interested in the pieces and thinks the price is crazy for such a coin, it will be easy to make a profit this way ...

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 08:49:26 AM »
The thread about this very coin currently has about 300 messages in a German forum. Crazy "collectors" or resellers. ;) Had I had the time, I might have logged in and waited in the long line - after all, even if one is not actually interested in the pieces and thinks the price is crazy for such a coin, it will be easy to make a profit this way ...

I too got an offer for it, €300 all inclusive. That was €150 above my budget so I refused. ;)

eBay auctions are fetching ~ €230 currently.

Aditya