DE: Federal Election Ahead

Started by chrisild, September 26, 2009, 11:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

You may know that in Germany we have federal elections tomorrow. Most probably the current chancellor (head of government) will also be the next one: Angela Merkel, CDU. But in theory Frank-Walter Steinmeier, SPD (current foreign minister) could also make it. Anyway, this is not actually a political post - a major German dealer of coins and medals has recently issued four election medals, two in silver (well, Ag 333), two in gold (Au 999). The portraits are, oh well ...

The other side (same for all pieces) is one that they use for many medals: An eagle with the coats of arms of the 16 states, and that of the Federal Republic in the middle.

And no, I do not plan to buy any of them. ;)

Christian

Figleaf

Though Merkel is at least recognizable, the designer confuses Steinmeier with F-J Strauss. I presume they look worse on metal. The reverse, though quite badly executed reminds me of the arms pictured in an anonymous (Pro Heraldica) publication: "Heraldik aus 9 Jahrhunderten - zur Geschichte des Familienwappens", Stuttgart 1984.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Quote from: Figleaf on October 11, 2009, 01:25:56 PM
Though Merkel is at least recognizable, the designer confuses Steinmeier with F-J Strauss. I presume they look worse on metal. The reverse, though quite badly executed reminds me of the arms pictured in an anonymous (Pro Heraldica) publication: "Heraldik aus 9 Jahrhunderten - zur Geschichte des Familienwappens", Stuttgart 1984.

The two profile "pictures" are not too bad, I think. The portraits on the gold pieces however ... hrmpf. And as for that eagle, well, MDM would get into trouble if they used the federal eagle on something "coin-like". That is why their bird looks to the right while the German eagle looks to the left (both from the viewer's perspective), and why they use all those coats of arms to make the eagle almost invisible. :)

By the way, MDM has used that "eagle" on many medals for about 15 years. Last year the Bundesbank lost a lawsuit against the company which had made a medal with Knut the polar bear on one side, and that eagle on the other side. According to the Bundesbank, the eagle design was too close to that of coins. But in late April 2008 the court (VerwG Frankfurt) decided that MDM can continue selling the Knut medal, and issue other pieces with that eagle ...

Christian

chrisild

Quote from: Ice Torch on October 11, 2009, 01:29:50 PM
So, will you be voting, Christian? And if so, are you willing to reveal for which party/parties?

Yes, I think so. But the election won't be until fall 2013, so I have some more time to think about where my X signs will be. ;)

Christian