Author Topic: New Gibraltar 50p Coin series - Gibraltar Primates  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
New Gibraltar 50p Coin series - Gibraltar Primates
« on: April 09, 2018, 06:25:17 PM »
Gibraltar is issuing a four-coin 50p series of Gibraltar primates, the first coin depicting the Barbary ape:

https://www.pobjoy.com/products/view/gibraltar-primates-50p-series-barbary-ape-2018-coloured-cupro-nickel-diamon

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
Re: New Gibraltar 50p Coin series - Gibraltar Primates
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:33:13 PM »
For some reason released weeks earlier than expected :(. Anyway, I can not see these being as successful as the penguin series. Also I do not understand at all why 3 of the 4 coins in the series feature primates that do not live in Gibraltar (Chimpanzee, Red Colobus and Badoon).

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:23:43 PM by eurocoin »

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 10:34:50 PM »
Itís too photographic for my liking.  Colour on coins is one thing - and Iím not too fussed about that - but photographs just seem wrong to me.  I can google a photo of a Barbary ape if I want to. On a coin I want to see an artistís work.  It should be about making something purely out of metal.  Colour and photos are cheating.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 11:39:33 PM »

To raise a related subject, I'm quite annoyed with the way in which mints have illustrated their coins in recent years. The images above are typical. Those coins do not look natural at all. The images seem to be halfway between artwork and heavily edited or poorly lit photos. Why do mints do that these days? I much prefer the realistic photos of earlier days. It's more proof that we're living in the Matrix. No wonder poor Elon Musk is wondering whether he's a real boy and trying to escape the Matrix. We might as well all join the Pinocchio club.  :(

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 04:44:33 PM »
Over 50% of the total mintage of the Barbary macaque 50p coin has now been sold. Pobjoy Mint has decided that no uncoloured coins will be minted of the primates 50p series.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 05:44:28 PM »
The image of the Chimpanzee coin which is the second issue in the Primates 50p series of Gibraltar. Pobjoy Mint will release it this Friday.

Image copyright: Pobjoy Mint - Exclusive on World of Coins Forum.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 03:37:36 PM »
Despite my reservations about photographic designs on coins, I did actually succumb to this.  The folder is quite nice and itís quite fun collecting coins in a series rather than having them all at once.  The remaining designs are the baboon and the red colobus.  All four are native to Africa but only the Barbary ape can be found on Gibraltar (which isnít too surprising as itís such a small territory).

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
New Gibraltar 50p Coin series - Gibraltar Primates
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 06:17:07 PM »

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 04:22:41 PM »
Pobjoy Mint really have whizzed through this series.  The final coin, the Baboon, is now available.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS ∑ UK
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 06:47:20 PM »
Pobjoy Mint really have whizzed through this series.

If you think about it - there is no reason to issue them individually at all ;)
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....