New Gibraltar 50p Coin series - Gibraltar Primates

Started by Alan71, April 09, 2018, 06:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan71

eurocoin

For some reason released weeks earlier than expected :(. Anyway, I can not see these being as successful as the penguin series. Also I do not understand at all why 3 of the 4 coins in the series feature primates that do not live in Gibraltar (Chimpanzee, Red Colobus and Badoon).

Alan71

It's too photographic for my liking.  Colour on coins is one thing - and I'm not too fussed about that - but photographs just seem wrong to me.  I can google a photo of a Barbary ape if I want to. On a coin I want to see an artist's work.  It should be about making something purely out of metal.  Colour and photos are cheating.

<k>

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

eurocoin

Over 50% of the total mintage of the Barbary macaque 50p coin has now been sold. Pobjoy Mint has decided that no uncoloured coins will be minted of the primates 50p series.

eurocoin

The image of the Chimpanzee coin which is the second issue in the Primates 50p series of Gibraltar. Pobjoy Mint will release it this Friday.

Image copyright: Pobjoy Mint - Exclusive on World of Coins Forum.

Alan71

Despite my reservations about photographic designs on coins, I did actually succumb to this.  The folder is quite nice and it's quite fun collecting coins in a series rather than having them all at once.  The remaining designs are the baboon and the red colobus.  All four are native to Africa but only the Barbary ape can be found on Gibraltar (which isn't too surprising as it's such a small territory).

Alan71

Alan71

Pobjoy Mint really have whizzed through this series.  The final coin, the Baboon, is now available.

andyg

Quote from: Alan71 on June 25, 2018, 04:22:41 PM
Pobjoy Mint really have whizzed through this series.

If you think about it - there is no reason to issue them individually at all ;)
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

MCz

Was not yet written here, so I write: Pobjoy Mint issued 10 days ago the 950 sets of 50p Primates 2018 coins without colour, pure copper-nickel in circulation standard. Coins in one blue pouch. In set also included 2017 Referendum and 2018 Calpe House 50p.
As the mintage is only 950 sets, this is already out of stock.